Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
B@ssmaster

Mr Heater/cooker question

2 posts in this topic

I posted this in the ice fishing forum as well.

This has probably been asked before, but I haven't found a specific answer yet. Other than the gas orifice, is there any other part of the heater/cooker assembly to check if I am having a flow issue? Can the valve assembly be taken apart or cleaned in some fashion? Can I shoot carb cleaner into it for example?

I have an ancient Mr Heater, cooker version. I run a 20lb tank with hose (no filter.) Had it for 15 years or more. Unit has worked great all these years, but I have noticed that this year it doesn't seem to be putting out quite as much heat on high as it used to. Started researching posts and have learned that I should be running a filter due to various contaminants in the propane/hose system. But the damage may have already been done.

I am assuming that there may be a restriction/contamination someplace. I have disassembled the heater and cleaned the gas orifice with no change in operation. Still seems to be running less than full output. Is there a way to dismantle or clean the valve/knob assembly? If I am able to clean/repair it I will add the filter to prevent future issues. (And yes, I turn off the tank first and let the system burn itself out after each use, in case that matters.) Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

B@ssmaster

I posted about a similar problem... here

I had similar issues.

These heaters can be completely disassembled, and there is not much to them. I completely disassembled my Mr. Heater/Cooker and cleaned it. The conclusion I found was propane gelled inside, and hidden inside "the guts" there is a small part that assists with the operation of the thermocoupler. That part must have failed, or the main "On, Off - Low-Med-High" valve was shot. I couldn't pin point.

I retired the heater, and it's used for parts if I ever need it.