• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sarting Arctic Cat after 2 years?

Finlander

What year and model?

Does it turn/pull over? Any spark? Is the fuel bad or good? Have you pulled the spark plugs yet and checked to see if they dry or wet?

I am sure we will figure it out grin?

you could try to siphon it out. I was given a 92 Polaris last year that had sat out for 3 or 4 years without running i ended up pulling the seat off taking the gas tank off and dumping the old gas out.I also blew the old gas out of the gas lines and i pulled carbs and cleaned them to. Was about a half day project, there was 2 bolts in the seat storage compartment thing in the back, and a cable holding down the front of the seat. That was on a Polaris though.

take the air box off, you'll need to to get at the carbs that most likely need cleaning anyway, then unhook the fuel line from the back of the tank and hook up to a longer pc of tubing and siphon it out that way. just blow in the tank and that will start the siphoning.

Prepare to clean the carbs and I would strongly suggest replacing the fuel line while you are at it. Call it cheap security. Neighbor just got done with his carb job last night. Started it this morning, took it for a test ride, let it sit and idle for a moment, and the red hot carbon/rust pieces that were blowing out of the muffler hit the puddle of gas that had leaked on the ground from a bad fuel line and lit the thing on fire cry. He got the fire out, but now he is looking at a $600 bill to get the wiring fixed. His sled had been sitting for 4 years.

Here is what I suggest (after doing exactly what you describe many times)

1. Siphon all the gas out of the tank. You don't have to get it all but do the best job possible. You don't need to drain the fuel lines but it helps.

2. Remove the carbs at the boot (band clamp) and wrestle them free from the airbox. Take the big nut off the bottom and remove the bowls. Remove the main jets from the pickup tube (1/4" hex works) and clean them with spray carb cleaner to remove any gum or obstruction. (DO NOT omit this step!) The fuel lines may be replaced at this step if you want. Replace the carbs and re-attach the airbox boots.

3. Get new spark plugs and put them in.

Now you are ready for the fun part.

Put some fuel in a small squirt bottle, remove both plugs and put a couple squirts of fuel directly in the cylinders, replace and tighten the plugs. Enable the ignition, pull the choke and start pulling the cord. The engine should fire easily and run long enough to pull fresh fuel through the system. You may have to repeat this process a couple of times so don't get discouraged. Once fresh fuel fills the carbs it will run on it's own and you are ready to go!