• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Retrieving Waypoints from Old GPS

CRF32

Question

I have a coworker that has about a 15 year Garmin GPS handheld that will not power on. Garmin stopped servicing these quite some time ago due to the age of the GPS. He has many waypoints on the GPS and wants to try and get them off. Does anyone have any experience with any electronics people or someone else that may be able to get into the GPS to get the information off? There is no chip or anything like that in the GPS. Any help or information is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

6 answers to this question

What is the model number of the unit? Is the screen dead, maybe the unit still works but your getting nothing on the screen.

Does he have a data cable to connect it to the computer, probably connects via a serial cable if it can.

EasyGPS or GPS Trackmaker are 2 good programs to use that will pull your way points off if you can get the unit connected to a computer. Then you can turn around and upload them to a new unit if you want.

Mike

That one should have a connector on the back side, smaller than a dime with 4 pins, you'll have to pull off the rubber plug.

That will connect to a data cable that can connect to a computer, then you can download the waypoints if it does power up to some extent.

I've had them where the screen showed nothing and I was able to pull the waypoints off before.

I have a GPS II+ and I can transfer waypoints to and from that one, no problem at all.

Mike

Try pressing and holding the big button in the center during "power up". The unit may just have had the screen dimmed so that you cannot see it. I have the same model and that has happened to me in the past.