Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BLACKJACK

How long is too long - part II?

15 posts in this topic

Saw the other post about how long in the frig and thought I'd ask my question:

Went fishing Wed night, caught a nice walleye, soaked it in the frig until Thur night, realized that we would be out of town most of the weekend, so I vacumn packed it but then made the mistake of leaving the vacumn packed fish in the box with the vacumn packer with the intention of carrying both downstairs and tossing it in the freezer.

When I noticed it I was bummed, it had been sitting at room temp for 24 hours, but tossed it in the freezer and since its vacumn packed I haven't been able to use the nose test. What do you think? Edible or not?

I'd be hesitant. As mentioned, bacteria grow fast at room temperature and vacuum packing doesn't remove all bacteria.

Bob

You could only hope.... smile

Not going to take a chance on getting sick, will just get it out, boil the heck out of it, and feed it to my dogs. frown Then its not totally wasted.

Speaking of lutefisk. Who in their right mind decided it would be a good idea to dry fish and then soak it in lye for a couple days, making the fish so alkaline that it has a pH of 11 or 12 therefore making the fish extremely caustic, rinsing it off, and then deciding it was worth eating?????

Makes one wonder about them Nordic people. Did I say that out loud here in the middle of Minnesota's little Norway? Geese, I hope my neighbors aren't reading this! grin

Bob

I hear you Sparce, they used to do lutefisk at that place in Atwater, now they changed hands and don't do it. Mom is checking the VFW in Litch, they used to do it, I'll let you know what I find out. Otherwise Vinje on election night or up at Peace Lutheran in Sunburg, but they're already passed.