• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Convert LMS-522 to ice rig or just buy another Flasher?

Kylersk

don't use the flasher, use the graph. It's what they sell or call the Ice Machine. Just get the transducer for about $79 bucks and you now have a GPS/fish finder all in one. Now if I can just get Vexilar to do this I would be heaven. I'm currently transfering my older X19 into a Ice Machine.

Good Luck,

mr

But are they as good as getting an LX5 or the new Humming birds?

Can you put a Lakemaster chip in your Bird or Marcum or Vex? NO.

That alone makes it a great unit for finding your hotspots.

They work as well or better than any flasher, use one and you will see.

The split screen zoom mode in graph mode works well, very sensitive.

You allready have the money invested in the unit, why not use it all year long?

I have the older 334 and love it. Having the GPS, the Graph mode, and the flexibility to zoom (2x 4x) anywhere in the column and do all sorts of other stuff is awesome.

I think you need the 16i kit or something like that, or put it on a blue box or whatever.

I hear ya' Sandmannd. Here's the reasons I decided to convert my 522 to the ice...

1) Familiarity. I purchased my Lowrance this spring so I've had plenty of time on the water with her. I know how to navigate and use the UI. Also, the graph mode is a familiar device as well as easy to understand since the open water rules apply to viewing it.

2) Down Time. Unless I'm on a hot bite, I usually have some time to kill while I'm out on the ice. Since the unit is still fairly new to me, I'm still learning new things each time out on the ice which can also be used for Open Water. I think of it as research. wink

3) LM Chip. I have one in the 522 and I love it. Being able to walk/ride out to spots that have produced in the past or scouting out the next spot is wonderful. This Fall I found a few spots I'm still hitting that produce every time I'm out. Pure satisfaction and I'm away from the herds.

4) Portability. The 522 is my main/only portable GPS device I've owned. Having both a GPS and a Sonar in the same unit is a big win for me.

5) Price. I love my toys. After buying some much needed gear during open water at a bargain price, I didn't have much left over for a sonar unit.

I'm not familiar with the LX5 or the new birds, but have heard plenty of good things from both companies. I can't say that any unit is better but I can tell you that I'm happy with what I've got. wink Happy Holidays.

I converted my lcx25 to ice duty with a ppi-16i kit from fish lectronics and it is awesome. With a 7" screen my bait is almost life size. It does use up some battery so I just picked up a 9 amp/hr battery in hopes that I will get more than 4 hrs out of it.

Cabela's has kits too, might be able to find a good deal.

Adam

I converted my lcx25 to ice duty with a ppi-16i kit from fish lectronics and it is awesome. With a 7" screen my bait is almost life size. It does use up some battery so I just picked up a 9 amp/hr battery in hopes that I will get more than 4 hrs out of it.

Cabela's has kits too, might be able to find a good deal.

Adam

To save on battery consumption....go to Menu>Sonar Features>Use Indoors to turn off your GPS when your not fishing....In this mode your unit will last for days....

I have mine rigged for my boat, truck, atv, sled, and also in the Otter all by means of a Ram mount. just get an extra power cable(unless it comes off the boat easy) and transducer from lei extras d o t com and your good to go.

Im seriously considering selling my fl 18.

I turned my 334 IGPS into a ice unit a few weeks ago. I've owned an LX-3, LX-5, Vex FL18, and I think I might be liking this more. I used it along side a LX-3 no problem. The LX-3 was able to cancel out any interference, and the 334 showed none.

New ice ducer: $70

New power cord/plug: $25

Foam float: $5

Vexilar Ultra pak base: $32

Battery $20

Total conversion: $142.

Saved $30 and did not buy the Ultra pac bag/case as my 334 has a face cover and it fits nicely into a bucket anyway.

I have delemas man. I have the 522 and have thought about converting it. If you go to thorne bros or through Perch Jerker on here it's about $180 to set it up. But are they as good as getting an LX5 or the new Humming birds?

Shane, my opinion is that you can't read fouled lures and the fish's attitude as well on a graph as you can on a flasher. Maybe if you spend days and weeks reading the graph you will pick up some of that over time, but they seem more sterile to me.

Originally Posted By: Sandmannd
I have delemas man. I have the 522 and have thought about converting it. If you go to thorne bros or through Perch Jerker on here it's about $180 to set it up. But are they as good as getting an LX5 or the new Humming birds?

Shane, my opinion is that you can't read fouled lures and the fish's attitude as well on a graph as you can on a flasher. Maybe if you spend days and weeks reading the graph you will pick up some of that over time, but they seem more sterile to me.

I disagree with that statement, but it is what you are used to. I find that I am able to do everything my buddies can on his flasher and then some. There is a reason they all look longingly at my lowrance. Even the buddy with the LX-5.

Theyre great machines on their own, but especially if you already own one and it is sitting on your boat. For almost no money you can have a top notch ice sonar.

Shane, if you want I can take you out and show you how the ice machine works. You have my email.

Kylersk,

Go for the ice kit on the 522, I have a vex and a 337 that I use on the ice and find I am using the vex less and the 337 more.

I use mine on chart split screen with the zoom, the best part is you have a little history on the display, so if a fish is moving through and you're not watching the screen you still won't miss the fish like you would not watching a flasher.

Originally Posted By: fishwater
Originally Posted By: Sandmannd

I disagree with that statement, but it is what you are used to. I find that I am able to do everything my buddies can on his flasher and then some. There is a reason they all look longingly at my lowrance. Even the buddy with the LX-5.

Theyre great machines on their own, but especially if you already own one and it is sitting on your boat. For almost no money you can have a top notch ice sonar.

Shane, if you want I can take you out and show you how the ice machine works. You have my email.

Chode, that would be great!!

Ok, I picked up a winter kit today and tried it out.

I gave up trying to figure it out and thought about returning it.

Then I saw a quick video on Youtube and it looks pretty cool.

I think I'll give it another try.

Yeah that arm for the transducer is stupid, get a vexilar float and be done with it. Other than that, strap the battery on and attach the bracket.

Another vote for the 522C. I converted mine and I love it. I must say that I am coming from the perspective of NOT having used a newer "true" flasher. The unit I replaced was a 12+ year old Zercom black and white unit that was good for showing the bottom and my lure and that's about it. At the time that was impressive. Unlike others - I have used the 522 primarily in flasher mode and I like it better this way. Put sensitivity in manual and adjust down so that you can just pick up your lure (about 65'ish percent give or take) - that should eliminate most of the other clutter. I run mine mostly in indoor mode (GPS turned off) and have no issues with running out of power - I use the GPS with the lake chip to get to my spot (and mark it) then I turn it off. I too thought the metal "hook" for the transducer is a joke. I have modified mine so that I run the transducer "wire" through the grommet designed for the metal hook and I adjust the depth based on the ice thickness. I then just swing my arm into place and drop through the hole - no float; have not had any issues this way and it is simple. The only frustration is seeing a fish come in - signal turns from black to blue to yellow to orange to red and you are saying "bite, bite bite" but it just sits there "looking" at your lure doing nothing. Its times like this I wish I couldn't see what was going on crazy. Good luck - I'm sure you will not be disappointed. Paul