• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Vented Vs Non Vented heater

fisherman 66

I have recently purchased a wheel house that is semi finished. No heater in it and wondering what to buy. Do non vented make it very wet inside with moister? Do vented use a great deal more propane to keep things heated? I do not plan on sleeping it it over night. Looking for some thoughts and ideas on this. Looked back 20 pages but didn't see this topic. If this is been discussed before could someone link me to it?

i would go with a vented model i tried both and vented worked much better. less moister and alot safer. spend the money and get a rv type furnance the forced air is great just set the thermostat and fish good luck on your choice

If you have the extra money the vented ones would be nice but if you are like me and don't want to spend any more than you have to I would not hesitate to get one of those small ventless heaters. We have the smallest one they make in our 6-1/2 x 12 foot wheelhouse and it works just fine. I don't really notice any moisture problem but maybe I would if I compared it to a vented heater.

I have a vented and don't experience any moisture problems in the 6.5 X 17. Windows are clear, along with the walls and ceiling. Can't speak for the non-vented variety, tho. I know you said you're not planning on sleeping in it, but you will be spending hours and hours in there. Go for the benefits of a vented.

As far as propane use, I think it'll be minimal. There is inherent waste with a vented because you're expelling heat through the exhaust, but since you're not going to be sleeping out there, I don't think it'll add up to a huge lose over the course of a season vs. the non-vented.

I have a small 10,000 BTU ventless heater from Menards in a 7'X20' wheelhouse and it heats it perfect. I have 4 12v computer fans circulating the air that helps keep the floor warm. I have not epereinced any issues with moisture. I keep the windows cracked for ventalation.

my vented heater i have in my 6 1/2 x 10 wheelhouse sucks...more heat goes out of my house then it stays in...i kept the thermostat on 90 tonight and couldn't get the temp over 50 in my shack....i went to the back of my shack where the vent is on the outside and there was way more hot air coming out of there then my furnace.

Something's wrong then. I had a 16000 BTU forced air in a 6.5 X 13' house that would cook us out if we wanted it to, and we didn't wrap the house with anything, just studs, fiberglass insulation, and flat 20" wide aluminum sheets without any kind of lip on them, so plenty of air leaks!

I'd have it looked at, or replaced...

If I were sleeping in it and could afford it I would go with a vented, If not I would get the non-vented with a CO detector just in case. A buddy(7outof10)and I were fishing in his wheelhouse with a non vented furnace last year. After a hour or so of fishing I started to feel light headed(no adult beverages involved). I did'nt think much about it and it just kept getting worse and worse untill I was pretty dizzy. I looked over at 7outof10 and said "Do you feel ok because Im feeling light headed". No more than a second after I said that the heater shuts off. Thankfully the CO detector in the unit worked and shut the unit down. We opened a window, lit the heater and were back to fishing in no time, but it was a little scary....BT

Something's wrong then. I had a 16000 BTU forced air in a 6.5 X 13' house that would cook us out if we wanted it to, and we didn't wrap the house with anything, just studs, fiberglass insulation, and flat 20" wide aluminum sheets without any kind of lip on them, so plenty of air leaks!

I'd have it looked at, or replaced...

any ideas what could be wrong? i was sitting there thinking this can't be right thats what made me poke around a bit and check the vent...seems like way more heat is going out the back vent then out of the furnace...i was thinking maybe something could be blocking my fuel coming from the tank or something...i don't know much about furnaces so if anyone has any ideas let me know....thanks

ilhw, I'd have to agree with FISHINGURU, There's a serious problem with that furnace! I have a 6.5' X 16' with a 30K Atwood forced air furnace in it, and that furnace IS capable of driving you out!! I tell my guests to bring along light shoes or slippers, I personally wear mocs and that's more than enough! If you guys are getting light headed, there's some monoxide that's getting back into the house somewhere. Get it checked out!! Specifically the firebox. Phred52

FISHINGURU, Without seeing your set-up, It is pretty hard to diagnose. Does your fan cycle? That needs to be working properly to blow the heat off the firebox and distribute it into the house. Otherwise, all you have is a little tin box that is getting hotter than it should, and all that heat is blowing out the with the exhaust. Thus, 3 hours of running time and only attaining 50*. Phred52