• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pizza Sauce

Since reading the recent pizza dough post, I have been hooked on making homemade pizza. What are your favorite sauce recipes?

Here is mine:

2 Tablespoons olive oil

1 Tablespoon butter

1/2 cup onion, chopped

1/4 cup celery, chopped

1 garlic clove, minced

1 (8 oz can) tomato sauce

1 (6 oz can) tomato paste

2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese

1 teaspoon dried basil

1 teaspoon dried oregano

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon sugar

1/4 teaspoon black pepper

In large skillet, melt butter with oil. Add onion, celery, garlic and saute until soft.

Add tomato sauce and tomato paste. Stir.

Add remaining ingredients and simmer 30-60 minutes.

Enough for about 2 pizzas. I often double or triple the recipe and then freeze the leftovers.

This is my favorite.

6 oz can tomato paste

3/4 C water.....I use tomato juice or V8.But water will work

1/3 C olive oil

3 cloves garlic

S&P

1/2 Tbs Oregano

1/2 Tbs Basil

1/2 Tbs Rosemary

Heat on the stove and then let it stand for a couple hours to blend.

I make about a dozen pints of this with Roma garden tomatoes every year and can it.16 ounces will make 2 medium pizzas.

Yup, those all sound like tasty recipes. In general, I do pretty much the same thing...start with a can of diced tomatoes and a can of tomato paste. When making pizza sauce versus a lasagna or pasta sauce, the key for me is to use more paste than diced tomatoes. I also let it simmer for a good hour or so to reduce it down to a thicker pizza sauce.

As for the garlic, onions, and spices, I like to do a little of everything that I see. It's always a little different each time.