• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Keeping a Fishing Log

Adam Wolf

I don't keep my log on the computer, I'm an old guy. A log book is a great tool, no matter how you keep it. Just write down anything you feel is important and there will come a time when it will help you catch fish.

Happy Holidays!

"Ace" smile

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I've long thought of it but have never started one. I plan to start bringing a journal and recording relevant info but would like to enter it into a computer when I get home so I can use the software to analyze, compare, and waste time when I should be doing something more productive.

I bet it is cool to look back and remember those entries you wrote as well.

my log book is my gps... good spot mark it change the symbol if something good or wierd happened and it also keeps the date time... for me started doing it a couple years ago and it already helped this year by havin a waypoint thier and not thier cuz them darn permies arent stayin still and you cant just park by the blue on that was there the other day cuz it moved......love my GPS

I keep a calander in the fish house and log all fish weather etc. then later transfer the info to a log book. It is cool to look back at the calanders and logs from years past with all the fish caught weather when first ice was etc.

I started keeping a log book for hard water and soft water for the last 2 years and it is fun to think when did I catch those crappies last year and look and see when and with what.....I just write down in a notebook the date the lake the times I fished what the weather was like who I was with and what I caught......I also write down when I make bigger ticket purchases like a fish house or boat or even a rod.......easy to do and fun to look back on and have accurate info!

I'm just wrapping up year ten for my personal fishing statistics, I just mark down where I fished and what species I caught, mark it on a wall calender. Than I add up the stats at the end of the year, then save the calenders for possible future reference. I don't keep accurate details like weather and lure used. Just seeing where I was and what I caught usually jogs the memory enough to figure out the rest.

Example;

2005 Fishing

97 Days on the Water

72 Days Open Water

25 Days Hard Water

21 Species of Fish

32 Bodies of Water

2006 Fishing

90 Days on the Water

59 Days Open Water

31 Days Hard Water

16 Species of Fish

26 Bodies of Water

2007 Fishing

65 Days on the Water

40 Days Open Water

25 Days Hard Water

10 Species of Fish

17 Bodies of Water

Use Excel and label your headings, similar to those used by riverrat in the post above. Using the Sort - Filter, you will then be able to filter by species, lake, wind direction... etc. It will allow for quick, easy referencing once you have a large enough database.

2007 was the "Year of the Injury", a couple of mishaps while fishing kept me from fishing. This year I even have smaller numbers, which for some reason my wife finds hard to believe. laugh

I'm calling 2008 the "Year of Wind", I don't like fishing in the wind. wink

My ten year average is 75 days, I hope to top that number in 2009.

Hi Guys,

I started keeping a log a year after I started guiding. That makes it about 21 years now. You can't believe how much stuff you forget if you don't write it down.

I start with the weather and go from there. Wind direction, sky conditions(fair cloudy or whatever) the moon phase, water temps and whatever else you think may apply.

I also like to make observations about what is going on around me.

Like What kind of birds are moving, or any little signs that mother nature might be giving you.

I also write down what type of fish I'm going for that day, the lures or bait that I use and how the fish responded to my presentations.

These days I seldom fish anywhere but Vermilion, however that doesn't mean that my observations aren't as important. Things are always changing, so no matter how familiar you are with the body of water you're fishing, it always pays to keep good records.

It's also kind of fun to read the stuff you wrote over the winter.

You can start to find patterns that will help you to figure out what works best at what time of the year. That way you can spend more time catchng and less time driving around wondering where all the action is.

Happy Holidays!

"Ace" smile

I started keeping a log book in april 2007. Its actually a fishing log book so all i have to do is fill in the spaces.I got it from the DNR at the sportsmans show a few years back.

i keep track of city,What i was fishing for, lake,area of lake,weather, time, fish caught, lures bait, who i was with, and any interesting things that happened. its kind of cool to look back and see what was going on.

i started mine on 12-18-06. i had gotten a really nice, leather, old fashioned-looking journal a few years before as a gift and hadnt touched it. i saw it sitting under the coffee table just as i was thinking about if my son was old enough to bring out. he was two then, and i brought him out later that winter. i thought it would be fun to look back when hes older on all the time we hopefully spend fishing together! he has been out with me several times, and i usually get him to stay happy for 1 and 1/2 or 2 hours. i hope i can avoid losing it and also remember to use the darn thing every time!

Thank Heavens for digi camera's and computers. I kept a log for years starting in 1972--but paperwork is something thats hard to keep track of. I lost my logs and notebooks when I lost my house to fire in 2003. It just seems easier to put all the info down on a computer along with digital pics of the fish caught. Then it's fairly easy to back-up the info too.

Maybe I'm gettin older and more forgetfull but I catch myself rereading facts about fishing trips-even just last year--that I would have forgotten if it weren't for the log.

Ever notice that many times the difference between not catching fish and catching fish is something really small. Something that might seem insignificant at the time--like type of lure--or the weather or a certain kinda retrieve makes a big difference. It's the little things that count.

Ive seen some really cool logs that others have kept as well. one was in a fish house up north. i fished with a friend at his grandpas fish house on a lake near detroit lakes. his log went back to the early 60's! it was cool to read post that old. some cool stories in there! the other was in the boat of a fishing captain down in the gulf of mexico. his was only a few years old, but the stories were crazy! not just the fishing! but storms, boat fires everything! even a stranded boat with 5 or 6 people on board with no radio 36 miles offshore! and they just luckily floated near this guys fishing spot!

We started our journal July 11 2003 and it has been one of the best things in regards to fishing that I have ever done. There are so many things that you will forget about with all the fishing trips that one will take in a years time that if you record what was caught and what ever details you want to put down it makes for a good read and a point of reference. I looked at our just to see when we started and remember after reading but had actually forgotten the walleyes that I caught. July 11 2003 28 in walleye on my favorite jig that I still use today. July 12 2003 using Lindy rigs I got a 26" and Lisa caught a 28 1/2". Fond memories that can be forgotten unless documented. Start a Journal today or give a good friend one so he can remind you of all the big ones that you have caught grin

Journalsunlimited just do a search you will find them.