• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Prime Rib Roast

I'm doing the same thing. A few keys: let the roast get to room temp before cooking it, a few hours laying out in the kitchen. While its warming to room tempt season it to allow the seasoning to soak into the roast. Cook at a very low temp, not higher then 275. This takes longer but you it it to cook through while maintaining pink throughout. Remember prime rib should be served rare to medium, never more than medium or you destroy the flavor.

My plan: put 1/2" of ahjus in the base of the pan. Cover the top of the roast with minced garlic, salt and pepper. Then cook at 200 for +-4 hours.

Here's my secret and I do quite a few of these, if it was summer I would rotissere it with a beer based marinade, but it's too cold so put it in the oven. Go to Target and buy a Tru Temp digital thermometer with a probe and the wire attached.

Put the probe, in the middle of the roast, not all the way thru also making sure that it doesn't hit the bone if it is bone in.As Quetico said let it get it room temp for the spices and then put it in the oven. Shut the oven door and the wire and temp reader will stick out on the counter so you can read it.

I like mine rare to medium rare (temp of 125-130) as I don't like to eat my shoe with over done meat, so a 3-4 pound roast takes about an hour and a half at 375 or so. So I pull the roast when the temp hits 120, and tent it for about 10 minutes with the probe still in it because it continues to cook. I use my elec. filet knife and cut it. If you have too much other stuff to cook and can't make a horseradish whip side dip, buy some Sandwhich Pal (Cub) and serve that on the side and that's very tasty.

Covered or uncovered during the oven process? I am having about 30 people for Christmas. Doing ham, spare ribs, and prime rib. How big of a rib do I need? I planned on getting a 17 lb rib, then trimming some steaks off of it for later use.

Anyone hit there rib with some smoker time before the oven?

I've always done the first 15 minutes at 425 degrees, then lowered it to 275 for the remainder until it hits 120 in the center as stated by MNHuntress and her follwing directions.

This process gets the roast "sealed" to keep the juices in.

I keep the smoker flavor for the ribs personally. I don't care for the strong smoke flavor on a prime piece of meat. To each their own though!

Chef beat me to it. Cook it at a high temperature to help seal it. I do it at the high temp for about 1/2 hour or so. I have cooked lots of these on the weber and that is what I will be doing on Christmas. I put the coals on the sides and it gets up to about 450 at the start and then the temps drop to under or around 300 for the rest of the time. A large 15 lber takes me about 3 hours. I season mine up the night before and take it out about an hour before I put it on the Weber. For seasoning I use Motreal steak from Durkees and also take whole garlic cloves and using a knife cut a slit and put the clove in it just deep enough to bury the clove about an inch and a half. It is never to cold out for the weber. Below is a photo of one I did at work.

primerib_grilling-9.jpg

chaffmj, thanks for the pic. Looks great. Hey, not to change the subject, but where was that pic in your avatar taken? I used to guide canoe trips up there for Charles L. Sommers (Northern Tier) when I was in college. Can't put a name to it, but it looks like somewhere I was at...

That is one good looking PR my friend!

Another tried-and-true process is a Rock Salt or Kosher Salt crust. Coat the entire roast with salt 2-3 days prior to your roasting day and put it in the fridge with a drip pan under it to catch the drips.

Roast as noted above and it comes out perfect every time.

Merry Christmas!

Chef beat me to it. Cook it at a high temperature to help seal it. I do it at the high temp for about 1/2 hour or so. I have cooked lots of these on the weber and that is what I will be doing on Christmas. I put the coals on the sides and it gets up to about 450 at the start and then the temps drop to under or around 300 for the rest of the time. A large 15 lber takes me about 3 hours. I season mine up the night before and take it out about an hour before I put it on the Weber. For seasoning I use Motreal steak from Durkees and also take whole garlic cloves and using a knife cut a slit and put the clove in it just deep enough to bury the clove about an inch and a half. It is never to cold out for the weber. Below is a photo of one I did at work.

primerib_grilling-9.jpg

oh God, i'm actually crying looking at that. that's beautiful

Well, you have a lot of good advice so far and to be honest a prime rib is such an easy cook, there are several ways to cook them. Looking at Chaffmj's picture reinforces cooking them in a barbecue or smoker. I tend to agree with low oven or pit temps as they keep the doneness even throughout the roast, but I go with lower temps than mentioned here. Something like 220°-250° is what I like. I also don't sear at the beginning, but rather do an end sear...and it's not really a sear, just enough high heat to crisp up the crust. When they get to my target temp for doneness, I remove and let them rest about 10 minutes or so, then either back on the pit or into a 500° oven for maybe 6 or 8 minutes. Those cable thermometers are the ticket, I trust them more than the clock, plus you can adjust your pit temp up or down as needed if you are shooting for a certain sit down time. This first one was pulled around 130° and the bottom one was pulled closer to 125°.

IMG_0155a.jpg

7a551d14.jpg

Nice pics guys and great pointers. I have heard of searing and then slow cooking. A guy at work told me he flash cooks it. Sets the oven to 550 degrees. Once it's heated that high he puts it in the oven and then shuts the oven off. Never opens it until the thermometer says it's done. Has anyone tried this at all?

Yeah, I've tried that. Didn't know it was called flash cooked, but that name sure fits. They come out good.

I've also done the 325° cook, which I call "Betty Crocker" style because hundreds of cookbooks use that method. This works too.

I've even had them deep fried in a turkey fryer, unbelievably good.

Heck, earlier this year I got up really early on Saturday, took my fillet knife and snuck a 5/8" slice off of one we were going to have for Sunday dinner and grilled it for breakfast. No one was the wiser. Heheeeee.

IMG_0140a.jpg

You know when I said a prime rib is easy to cook, it really is.... The two main reason folks get nervous is because it's a really expensive piece of meat that most of us can only afford a couple of times a year. And, when you cook a big one you always have guests over and you want to show off a little.

I bought mine yesterday at $7.50 per lb....wow. Did beef go up a little? Oh well, it is Christmas and it is for her family, so I will only charge them $5.00 per plate grin

It has a 2 inch lip on it. Does anyone know what the point of that is?

Quote:
Heck, earlier this year I got up really early on Saturday, took my fillet knife and snuck a 5/8" slice off of one we were going to have for Sunday dinner and grilled it for breakfast. No one was the wiser. Heheeeee.

Great idea thrideye. Now I know what I am having for breakfast tomorrow!

Okay gotcha....here is the deal, a big lip means it is cut from the chuck end (or forward end of the steer). The lip is actually part of the chuck roll. Now, a roast from the loin end will have a bigger eye and will be a little more tender. But, a chuck end roast will have more flavor, because of that marbling.... I like the chuck end ones if I have a choice.