• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

wheelhouse trailer license?

FISHINGURU

If it's under 3000# dry, all you need is a lifetime license, i think they are around $70. if it's over 3000 loaded, meaning with LP, equipment, wheeler....etc, you also need trailer brakes. if it's over 3000 empty, you need a lic. plate.

Fishinguru,

In case you haven't gone in to get your license yet, here is some more information from the Hennepin County information portal:

Fish House on Wheels

A Fish House on wheels must be registered as a trailer. The definition of a Fish House on Wheels is an enclosed trailers with cargo doors that haul all terrain vehicles or other cargo and are used as a fish house, Trailers manufactured for use as a fish house or Recreational trailers used seasonally as fish house. If your Fish House on Wheels has not been registered in Minnesota before please bring in your Manufacturers statement of origin, Title or foreign state registration in your name.

Renewing Registration for Fish House on Wheels

All trailers in Minnesota expire in February. To renew the registration on your Fish House on Wheels, please come in with your renewal notice. If you don’t have your renewal notices we can look it up by plate or your driver’s license.

Transferring a Fish House on Wheels

All titled vehicles in Minnesota must transfer on a title. If you’re Fish House on Wheels has permanent registration it may not be titled. If your Fish House on Wheels is not titled you can transfer it on the registration card or on a bill of sale. The bill of sale must include: Buyer & Sellers Name, Date of Sale, Amount, Vehicle identification number and signatures of both buyers and sellers.

well my wheelhouse didn't have a VIN so i had to fill out a thing saying i made the trailer lol.

they wanted to know the measurements, color, what the frame is made from, the axle, the tire size, the weight, the cost, and how many hours of labor lol.

i got the lifetime license and had to pay tax for the cost of the trailer...it came to $100 for the lifetime and tax.

i knew it would be some [PoorWordUsage] like that...all i wanted was a trailer license so i could go fish...instead i spend half the day gathering all that info.

I just went through this myself. Filled out a paper that it was bought from a private party strictly as a fish house, who I bought it from, give the year, sn# (if possible), under 3000lbs.

paid no sales tax and got the lifetime license.

They never asked for the amount paid or anything.

Sounds like there is some variety here.

"hooks"

Ok... Here is my story about this.

I went in today, and they asked me to fill out the paperwork, and then list all of the materials and estimated costs for those materials. Then they told me that I had to list the total price of the materials as the "purchase" price and pay sales tax on that dollar figure. I told them that I had already paid sale tax on the items that I purchased to build it, so they are double dipping on the sale tax collection. She said that I had to produce all of the receipts that went into building my house, or pay the sales tax. So I asked, what if I got all of the materials for free, so it technically has a zero dollar value. She said that I have to have a value or that they wouldn't register it. WHAT A JOKE. I'm not paying sales taxes again.

So now the question is, how much is the fine IF you get caught? Given that these houses are thousands of dollars, I am guessing that you can get caught and fined a number of times, before it is less than the dual taxation that they want you to pay!

So IF you went to a registration location and didn't get this much of a hassle, where did you go, so that the rest of us can go and register there and be done with this bogus new law.

Just go to a different DMV. Some have some sort of power trip. I would highly recommend the Maple grove DMV. Good luck. I had a 3 year old King Crow fish house and they said I didn't have to pay tax since it was never registered before. $66 later I had a lifetime license and was ready to go fish. Good luck.

I done the deed today.Went to the Maplewood DOT office after work. My wheelhouse was purchased from the King Crow manufacturer in 2002. I had a receipt so no sales tax stuff. I got a life time permit for $66.00. Not too painful. They did want a description and I had to fill out a "statment of facts" for em.

Got er done. Im going to pull it out next week.

B safe

Just Me

This is no "new law" guys. You have always been required to licence any trailer that is on the roadway. (except for some ag equipment) For some reason, ice fishermen (myself included) have been lead to believe (by talking amongst themselves probably) that a FISH HOUSE that was transported on the road, did not need to be lisenced as a trailer. This all had nothing to do with the DNR or the state RECENTLY dropping "new laws" on ice fishermen. I think that the reason it has become such a hot topic lately is because of how commercialized wheeled fish houses have become. In the past, fish houses were made from scrap materials found on the farm or job site, and pulled just a couple of miles, on back roads, to a local lake. Now guys have 20+ foot fish houses that they pull all over the upper midwest. Obviously this has forced officials to pay closer attention the numerous safety and liability issues that come from a "trailer" that is not lisenced properly, or does not have the proper safety equipment. All Im saying is that we should not be so suprised about all of this lisence stuff.

thats lame isn't it? i said the same exact thing and the lady straight up said the state of MN will make sure they get theirs lol....i said i already paid taxes once and she said it don't matter i have to pay the 6.5 % or whatever she was babbling.

i just said it costed me $500 and payed like $32 sales tax....good thing i had a feeling what was goin on because she wanted me to write down what i paid for my wheelhouse lol.

i'm glad it's over and i don't have to do it again.....wonder what they will think of next?

This is no "new law" guys.

This is new as of 2007 but was not enforced for the 2007-2008 ice fishing season because it came about to late in 2007 to allow time for the people that have wheel houses to get them licensed. Technically it really isn't even a law yet. Eventually the legislature will get around to revising the State Statutes to cover wheel houses and then it will be law. The thing I am wondering is, the legislature will probably be the ones that determine how the houses should be licensed. It may turn out that some are incorrectly licensed and have to be changed.