• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Freezing Fingers

Joe15

I would use a muff with handwarmers in it. That's what I've had to start doing.

Make sure its not too restrictive on your wrist and try not to holds anything any longer than you have to. Keeping your hands on the riser sucks warmth away from your hands.

Joe, I get the same thing but mine is pretty much just in my thumbs. They get cold and go numb. When I'm cuttin meat I keep a pan of hot water near and stick my hands in it. That helps but, out in the weather is another story. I don't care what I got on, it happens. Sometime I wonder if it's just my circulation with age. Lot of times I'll slip my thumb outta the thumb hole in the glove and wrap the fingers around it. Mittens with a hand warmer help somewhat.

I'm with Powerstroke...I hardly ever use big gloves while hunting or sitting in the stand. I use a muff and shove handwarmers in there. I've never had cold hands when they are in there...hand warmers are cheap investment when it comes to keeping the fingers warm...I buy plenty of them. When it is really cold, and during prime time shooting hours, I put on a small pair of fitted gloves, because there has been times, when I've taken my nice and toasty hands out of the muff, without anything on them...Holding either my bow or gun waiting for a perfect shot until my fingers are numb...It doesnt take long

I also buy plenty of disposable hand warmers. I put one in each glove and stick my hands in my front jacket pockets. I know they say not to have them next to your skin but I have been doing it for years and have never had an issue. Work great for me...

yea i went out last night and when my fingers were cold i pulled them out of the fingers of the glove and made a fist in the palm of they glove and that helped a little so i guess i will just have to stick it out

I use a pretty heavy pair of glomits. They are very warm and I can slip my trigger finger out of them to hit the release or pull the trigger, they are not perfect, but they are the warmest things I have run across. I would say for me, they are must for cold weather hunting, if it gets really cold, I can put a hand warmer inside of them.

I've found that with the hand warmers is not to wait until your hands are cold to start using them. I used to wait til my hands where cold and then take the warmers out of my coat pocket and but them in my gloves, but my fingers would never seem to fully recover. Now I but them in right away. Since I've been doing that I haven't had cold hands since.

I've had frost bite toes and fingers so they get cold instantly.My best luck I have had using the handwarmers.ANd light stated above start with them right away once you get a chill or cold fingers it's tough to get rid of.I bring extra out incase I sit longer then expected.I started to use the under armor fitted gloves last year and they are awesome keep my hands in the muff with the warmers and can wear you release and feel the trigger without any problems.

I'm with everyone else, use the chemical handwarmers. My camo bowhunting parka has side pockets for your hands, I throw one in each pocket, two if its below zero, use the same thin cotton gloves that I use all year - a full one on my left hand and one with the fingers cut off on the right, with my release on. Then I hang my bow with in easy reach, my hands are in my pocket until I see a deer and need to grab my bow.

I also upgraded the gloves that I wear to and from the stand, don't want to start out with cold hands, I use a pair of leather choppers with wool liners. Bulky to stick in your pocket but warm.

How about frozen toes - any suggestions there? I've got decent boots and wear synthetic socks with wools socks over the top - in this subzero weather my toes still freeze, toe warmers are worthless.
Military bunny boots or mickeymouse boots,only boots that keep my frost bit feet warm anymore.

How about frozen toes - any suggestions there? I've got decent boots and wear synthetic socks with wools socks over the top - in this subzero weather my toes still freeze, toe warmers are worthless.

I have a pair of the LaCrosse Ice Kings and don't have a problem with cold toes.

I would think those chemical hand warmers would work in your boots too, just don't put them next to your skin, because sometimes they do get too hot!! Good socks are a must!! Not cotton!!! Polypro next to your skin, then wool. Make sure your boots are not too tight. Sometimes I'll wear three pair of thin socks, but always no less than two pair, poly then wool. I'll keep adding until I get the right 'fit' in my boots - not too tight!!

For years my toes would always freez, it didn't matter what I tried. A couple years back I got the Cabelas Predator Extreme Pac Boots and my toes have been fine ever since. All I wear is one pair of wool socks and my feet stay warm.

Some of the better boots mentioned definitely work, but if you're not wanting to wear such a heavy pair or have a long walk, wear lighter insulated ones and use the toe warmers, just make sure you use the ones that operate on less oxygen. Good fit with the socks is a must as someone mentioned above. If for some reason the toe warmers don't do the job for you, go with the full heated insoles made by Grabber or Heat Factory. They are slick and easier to use/position/keep in place than the toe warmers. I use to have the same problem as you, my toes were the only thing I couldn't keep warm unless I wore the big heavily insulated boots. Now I just wear a lightweight pair ofs 600 gm thinsulate boot or equivalent and use the warmers and they're toasty.