Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
carpmaster4

hard starting dodge ram 2500

8 posts in this topic

my truck seems to not like winter i go to start it and it takes awhile to get it to start but then it kills right away. any ideas what is wrong?

its a gas and lately it starts and stays running after about twentty mins of trying to keep it going seems to happen on real cold days but it still starts hard other days

What is the year and motor?

Try this scenario out. You crank it, it starts like normal but dies within a couple of seconds. This will continue all day long if you had the time and patients. When it does start if you hold the gas pedal just off of idle it will run fine at whatever RPM's the gas pedal position dictates. As soon as you let off the gas pedal it dies immediately. Is this sounding about right? If so the first thing I would do is remove the IAC (idle air control valve) and clean liberally (both the valve and the bore it sits in). Reassemble and see if the problem has been resolved.

That sounds like my wifes Camry, other than it usually doesn't die alot. It doesn't have the "higher" start-up idle? Is this the same thing to look for? Where is the "idle air control valve) on a 95 Camry 4 cyl. ?

Both of my "former" RAMs had these symptoms just before the crank sensors went out and then they wouldn't stay running either.