Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bulldoggr

Otter Lodge Mod

31 posts in this topic

I finished Modding my Otter Lodge. I have yet to be on the ice with it. Hopefully this week when I return to Minnesota For Christmas.

Fishhousemods003.jpg

I used 3/4 CDX plywood. I notched the pieces so they would fit together in a solid piece.

Fishhousemods004.jpg

Here I had cut and fit another piece of 3/4 CDX

Fishhousemods005.jpg

I next took some 2x4's and ripped them into 2x2's and fitted them to the sled. I also used 2x2's to reinforce the compartment dividers. Also this gave me something to suport the lid and the Doors that would soon follow

Fishhousemods007.jpg

Fishhousemods008.jpg

Fishhousemods008.jpg

This next Pic I took a 1 3/4 hole saw and cut in what became my rod holder ( not 100% happy with it, I might cut the compartment side open so i will be able to but my Rod bags in there)

Fishhousemods011.jpg

one of the pics where the mod is Complete. My Dog looks just so thrilled doesn't he?

Fishhousemods013.jpg

I used Piano Hinges, I liked that and wanted to have a clean look without the hinges showing. Just like they do in your Boat.

Fishhousemods016.jpg

With the lid open on one of the compartments.

Fishhousemods016.jpg

Fishhousemods017.jpg

I secured the seats so there was 4 inches away from the square tubing. By doing so I was able to get a true 24" from seat edge to seat edge. Also I believe the back area of the mod will be a good place for my Dog lay down at. Seeing how he goes everywhere with me. Even work!

Fishhousemods014.jpg

Great Mod dude! smile

Nice mods and a vary nice looking GSP you have there. It looks like he found her spot in the shack.

AWESOME! Dang it now your putting ideas in my head smile

They all look awesome Who says you cant be comfortable in a portable.

Very nice!

I want to do something similar in my Wild 2, I was hung up on what too do with the bench seat I have, but I think your seat mounting idea will work out for me!

First off - I really like it - it looks strong and usable. Nicely done. Plus, the hound looks like he's claimed his spot, which is great.

You know - with all this heavy 3/4 cdx being used - you think there would be some handy ice fishing visionary out there who could bend up some strong and light weight aluminum and plastic combo inserts to accomplish some of these same things.

I wish I was mechanical - could be some ching in that business...

Well now this old gal has some ideas for hers. Fantastic job!!!

wow, looks really nice.

get that dog off there to shave weight!

Mongo....you might be on to something.....Prefab sled organizers

Mongo....you might be on to something.....Prefab sled organizers

I think I should at least have 10% intellectual property rights...

Someone did have Prefab organizers at the St Paul Ice fishing show 2 or 3 years ago. I didn't see them since.

You know - with all this heavy 3/4 cdx being used - you think there would be some handy ice fishing visionary out there who could bend up some strong and light weight

Carbon Fiber

First off, NICE MOD! I like how clean it turned out, and it really gets me in the mood to re-do my Otter Cabin.

Not be be critical but I think the 3/4 might have been overkill due to the 2x2 crossmembers; 3/8 or 1/2 may have sufficed but without seeing it first hand I could very well be wrong. I am also curious as to what you do with your auger/heater/tank/fish storage bucket. On an ATV, perhaps?

Oh yeah, what's with the bondo? Blowout on the sled? smile

Well the pics don't show it. but I do have an area in the back right corner to hold a 20# tank. I have a 10 ft Hose with a Mr. Heater Cooker/heater Combo that is stored in the front right compartment under the seat. along with a Propane lantern and and room for up to 4, 1# bottles of propane.

As far as the extra Bucket for fish, yep I have to carry it in the truck or on the ATV, along with the auger.

The 3/4 CDX is what I had on hand. Extra scrap from the job. But I knew with me being 260 lbs. and the possibility of one of my buddies that is just as big or bigger then me, I wanted to make sure it was strong.

Although I hav noticed how some have framed their entire mod with 2x2's I wanted to try something Different.Thus the dsign I came up with. I actually toyed with the Idea of ripping the 3/4 CDX in 1 1/2 rips then glueing them together to make a mini Micro lam if you will in place of the 2x2's

There is no Bondo on my sled. you are probably seeing the saw dust from working on the sled.

After looking a second time I realized the "bondo" I thought I was seeing was the sticker backing on the inside front of the sled. Sorry. Your idea for doubled 3/4 microlam idea sounds great now that I think about it. I may do 1/2" with (2) extra 1-1/2"x 1/2" strips along the top for something to screw to. Glue it, clamp it, and screw it. Maybe next summer. My old man is looking to get a flipover and have me mod it for him, and I really like the layout you chose.

I modified mine but not to that extent. That looks real nice! I carpeted mine and that covers and flaws on the cuts. Well it did for me.

I'll try to get some pics up. I just made a holder for a 20lb propane tank and minnow bucket on the back. Just a bracket deal from 3/4" MDO plywood I had left over. And put a lil shelf towards the front with cup holder and lil tool box for pliers. It's nice and flush and carpeted.

I think your dog loves it.

I will be taking a piece of Rubber roof Membrane. Cut it to fit the area you drill your holes and walk in. Then cut holes in the membrane to allow for my ice holes.

Not sure how practical it will be. or it will actually be worth the trouble. But I know alot of times I have to wear cleets on my boots so I don't slip and bust my head. Sometimes the heater will melt all the snow away and make it slippery.

I have also been thinking about getting the Big Buddy heater that has the fan. so with the membrane it might help keep the ice melt down.

Who knows. but it is scrap Membrane so I have nothing to lose.

Originally Posted By: MinnesotaMongo

You know - with all this heavy 3/4 cdx being used - you think there would be some handy ice fishing visionary out there who could bend up some strong and light weight

Carbon Fiber

Great idea. Imagine Wenonah or Bell getting into making ice sleds. They would be beautiful kevelar (those Bell canoes have such a nice gel coat on them) and weigh about 3 lbs... and 2 of that would be the "hyfax."

how did you attached the 2 x 2's? with glue or screw them together? and how did you attached the long 2 x 2's to the sled?

thanks

zach