Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
huckfin

06 Silverado "SERVICE AIR BAG"

10 posts in this topic

Started the truck yesterday morning and the Service air bag lite up the display box. The red indicator symbol also lite up. I'm assuming this is something that should be looked at. should it be taken to a dealership, or can any service technician take care of it. Will the air bags still work if I can't get it in for a couple of days? Thanks

Any decent shop with good scanning equipment should be able to at least get you pointed in the right direction. Some shops are still leery about working on them do to the liability concerns.

When the light is on the system is disabled and will not function if needed. There is a slim to none chance that the system can deploy unexpectedly and for no reason. Again this is slim to none but still possible.

Depending on what the issue actually is it still could deploy in a crash. I had a wire break on the seat position sensor under the driver seat on my truck. It was used to determine what stage on the 2 stage airbag would deploy in a crash (if the seat is back it deploys faster, closer at a reduced speed). Because of the broken wire, it would have deployed at the slower rate (as if the seat were closer). As airjer stated, any shop with scanning equipment will be able to determine what code is actually being set and they should be able to troubleshoot from there.

Technicalities?!?!?!?!

How about "will not function as intended, if at all"! wink

Sorry airjer, not trying to step on your toes grin Just sharing the issue I had.

I try really hard to get things phrased appropriately. No apologies are necessary!!!!

Not sure if chevrolet's are like hondas but if you have something sitting on the passenger seat it may throw a code. The computer senses some weight on the seat but not in the back rest and can set a code. Either that or it's a cable reel. Who know's but good luck.

And by the way Airjers second answer was by far the most correct if not safest answer ever........."will not function as intended, if at all"!..............I loved that one. Recorded and in play for future reference.

I called a dealership the other day and talked to the service department. He had the same info as previous posters. the shop was booked for the day. He also said that sometimes the sensors "will reset after a few more uses sometimes" . Could just be me but he did not seem to urgent to get it in to his shop to have it looked at. The light and indicator lite have been out for two days now so I'll just keep an eye on it. Thanks for the help all!!!!

I also had mine come on a couple of years ago (before the broken wire issue) when it was about -20 up north. I had gotten the truck washed before heading up north, so the cold/water may have messed with the sensors in the front. Once the truck warmed up, the light went off and never came back on. No code was even stored.