• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

frozen zippers

blarkey

If you are on the ice and there is slush keep the zippers up top but towards the time you are leaving. put the heat towards the door. Any slush on it will melt. On my otter I leave my door open when putting it away. That way zipper will dry off.

Yup...There is an oversize version called "Zipper Ez" sold in the camping dept at GM. The basic same stuff, light wax / ChapStick with a paraffin or bee's wax base.

I have been using Chapstick or candle wax for years, the softer the better. Chapstick just makes the job easy and less messy. I have never ripped out a zipper on any of my portables, and I average a new portable every 2 years.

The other very important factor is allow some top-side venting in very cold weather so humidity generated by the propane and thawing on the floor/ice finds a way out so it does not seek the zipper to do so.

Don't use the door top to vent, then your just asking for all the frost to head that way and cause mischief. Try to use a top or cross vent, or window. WD-40 or other solvent or oil based lubes tend to stain fabric or damage the inside liner of canvas or stitching on the zipper, so I found they are not the best of choices.

Remember...You need air too, so no matter what, venting is a critical factor in any enclosed heated portable.

Lube er up with some "lip slipper" from time to time, she will work better and protect it from frost up and zipper damage.

Of course the best thing is to try and keep the zipper dry. Thats not always easy though. Drill holes and clean them out before the house is set up. Dont toss slush out the door. Thats surely a lower zipper freezer.

I found the best thing is either some soft soap or the stuff Ed talks about. I cant always find that in our GM though. 1 stick does last a while. It wont take much. Run it on the zipper and work the zipper back and forth. Dont use too much.

I wonder if a guy was careful he could you the sub zero lubricant on the zipper. My clam 5600 I only use 1 door becuase one of the zipper heads broke on tonka on night of [PoorWordUsage].

The Frabill Sub Zero Lube works well, but it is white and that often means a mess on the canvas...but it does work extremely well.