• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rapala Ice Jigging Rap. Worth all the Rap?

Huskey Jerk

I have gone ice fishing on and off for over 20 years, and have been fortunate enough to catch some real dandies, which of course have all grown considerable size every time I tell a story. In all of my outings, successful or otherwise, I have not used much in the way of a baitless jig, outside of maybe a Swedish Pimple or simple painted jig on occasion. This may have something to do with my desire to always have a cold beer in my hand, and a minnow doing the dirty work, I’m not sure. Tonight I bought a few Rapala Jigging Raps and Jigging Shad Raps in a handful of colors. They looked like they could be the cat's meaow and a cure for my recent run of bad luck. How many of you have had success with these or similar jigs? Can any one offer pointers on improving my fish to beer ratio? I welcome any and all comments. Oh, and I’m not a ragging alcoholic, just a traditional fisherman with a taste for ice-cold beer in a nice warm fish house.

http://www.rapala.com/images/thumbnails/lures/freshwater/jigging_rap_chb.jpg

I had horrible luck with these last year but I did not tip them with a minnow head. This year, I bought a few perch colored ones, tipped it with a minnow head with the guts hanging off it and I use it the most.

I was sight fishing and it outperformed my live minnow every time.

I don't think I can help with your beer to fish ratio:)

I've used small jigging raps for Perch with good luck. But I've found that the hanging treble in the center is too small, so I go at least one size larger. I've never hooked a fish on either of the end hooks and I've heard some guys say that they cut them off so they don't snag the ice when bringing a fish up the hole.

I always tip the bottom hook with something -- a minnow head or whole minnow, or even three small minnows hooked beneath their collective dorsals.

If you do hook through the head though, you are best of hooking through the top first, and out the jaw. Otherwise they tend to re-hang up on one of the other trebles and not do their job.

Jigging raps don't work. Please send them all to me so I can dispose of them properly smile

They work well for crappies, perch, walleye and northerns in my experiences. Get a #9 and go jigging for some pike--that and a tip up in the area is a fun afternoon! And do they ever slam them when they decide to hit!!

Hook up ratio? Well, let's just say raps seem to hook everything. If you ever leave one on your rod and store it- you will catch it on another rod, your shirt and probably your pants before you can get it unhooked. There are no worries with hook ups and keeping fish on.

I normally tip the treble with a minnow head. Don't tip either of the single hooks- that effects the action and looks more un-natural, IMO.

You will catch a fish from time to time on one of the single hooks. DON'T CUT THEM OFF!!!!!!

To get an idea of how these lures swim- drop them down a couple of feet and do some different jigging motions so you can see what the lure does. Trial and error is the only way to know what that lure does when you do a certain motion.

If fish are more active you can do a hard snap of a foot or so- try to keep your line tight on the way back down because that is when the more active fish will hit.

If they are less active a slow, steady lift and drop can work.

With a 10" hole I swim the bait around a lot. Just work the rod tip and try to swim it around. This seems to work real well when I see a fish on the locator. If they won't bite on the swim around, just slowly start raising the lure away from them- that triggers them a lot.

There are lots of things to try with these- and all- lures. Just getting the confidence to use them by catching a few fish can be the hardest. I do know some places where I fish, the fish will eat raps (horizontal lure) and ignore a pimple or other vertical lure. And other places it is vice versa. Why that happens? I don't know, but it happens to me.

Good luck..These lures catch!

last year my buddy threw the camera down to see what was on the bottom and there sat a pretty descent northern, he wanted nothing to do with our minnow tipped jigs, then he threw on a small perch jiggin rap and wham! he smoke that thing so hard the rod about flew out of his hand! and the cool thing we watched it all on the camera so he should have been ready for the hit! so this year i made sure to have a few of them in my arsenal!

Gota love the jign raps. I always tip the treble with a minnow head. I cut the front hook at the point so as not to affect action. Started cutting the point cause I have lost way to many fish from the point on the front hook getting caught on the lip of the bottom of my hole. Some of my buddies swear by keeping the front hook. Favorite collors are blue/ chrome, silver/black, and perch.

The Jigging Rap (perch pattern) and Buckshot Rattle Spoon are the two hardwater lures that produce the best for me.

The Jigging Rap outperforms EVERYTHING I have during daylight hours, and the buckshots do better in low light/at night.

I HAVE have the front hook snag on the hole and have lost walleyes that way, so I usually snip them off. Even in the smaller sizes, the hanging treble has been terrific for hook-ups, and I also get some fish on the rear hook as well.

A terrific lure, no question, especially when tipped with a chunk of minnow.

The most overlooked piece of jigging tackle on the ice. If you have an aggressive bite the swimming motion of the rap makes for a fun hit... as it could be on either side or up and down underneath the ice when struck! In many cases the fish just aren't giving any attention to a certain lure, use the rap. The jigging rap may be too aggressive, but the minnow underneath your dead stick on the next hole over will not be happy about all the attention!

Holy [PoorWordUsage]. You guys are making me very excited to get out on the ice again. It looks like I'll be changing the way I fish from now on... Well, I still plan on drinking beer, but I'm on board with some jigging. Looks like the front hook needs to go.

Thanks!

Apperently c.r.a.p. is a bad word.

It's not a bad word just poor word usage. Kind of like using ain't in a sentence. It's nice to have a site that insists on proper english usage.

I've used jigging raps for a long time. I wouldn't say they are my first choice, but if the fishing is tough it's the first bait I tie on too try and entice a bite. I use juice on it instead of a piece of minnow. I've even used very small mister twister tails on the end hooks which seems to bring a few fish in.

They do hook everything! My brother was trying to trim the tag end of line on a jigging rap with his teeth and doing so when he pulled real hard and the tag end finally let go so did the rap front hook right thru his nostril and out the top part of his nose!

Gotta love them raps!

I like using Quick Clips for attachment. Gotta love raps for eyes, saugers, and perch! I always tip middle scary sharp treble with a head or larvae for perch. I too have had the tip hook catch on the bottom of the hole resulting in a lost fish. I don't clip the hook but might try it. It doesn't happen all the time?

They are a confidence lure for me like pimples. I try to always have a deadstick next to my jigging rap. It seems to pull them in from a long ways away when you thump it on the bottom. If they are aggressive they hit if not they take the deadstick and minnow.

Ferny