• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Weapon of choice

Joe15

alot of arguing about the 17hmr and coyotes, i've shot 1 at somewhat close range 70 yards or so and bang flop. i think of it this way, it may not be the best choice i personally like my ar223 but i don't think many humans would survive many shots to the chest with a 17 standing out at a 100 yards.

For "close quarters" work, I use a Rem 1100 with a Dead Coyote tube and #4 buck.

The "traditional" rifle I use is a .243 Rem 700 shooting either 58gr or 70gr.

But my "go to" gun is my 18" Super Match custom AR, chambered in 6.8SPC shooting a 90gr Speer TNT. If I do my part, this little beauty will shoot inside a top end .308 out to 300+ yards!!

18inPhaseII.jpg

He listed it as 6.8spc which is the military's answer right now to the .223 not having the manstopper power of the ol' 30-06. but the 6.8 kicks a little more than a .223 (just from reading, not experience here) but it is very manageable in the AR set up.

them picatinnys must snag on everything, whats it weigh?

As it sits, it would reach out and grab anything with the rails... Weeds, twings, branches, low flying birds... However, with a bit of vet wrap... No snagging problems AND it gives it a nice "winter camo" coat!! She's a bit of a tank at just a hair under 9 pounds with it's THICK, 18" super match barrel and bipod. It was originally built as a precision shooter, but it so dang "sacrey" accurate, I just can't put it down!

The recoil is surprisingly light. I use a bit heavier buffer and bolt carrier as well as a flat wire spring. And, honestly, I think it's easier on the arm than my .223. This is my second AR in 6.8SPC with number three on the bench as we speak. This will be a light weight 16" purpose built hunting rig. IF I can find parts, that is... crazy

P.D.W.... We gotta hit the range sometime so you can put a few through the 6.8... I'll almost bet I can make a "believer" out of you... wink

I sight in at 200 ther is a 2 inch or so change t0 100. so it doesnt mater in that close it makes a differance at longer ranges.

Sure, but to be -4 inches at 400 yds, you must be sighted in roughly +5 to +6 inches at 200 yds.