• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Weapon of choice

Joe15

Nope, it's a 7.62 x 54.

I've been told (don't know if it's truth or not) that the 7.62 rounds can be used in a .308, but .308 rounds can not be shot through the 7.62. Is this fact??? I have no idea. Quite honestly I'm not a rifle expert. Out here on the prairie we mainly use shotguns for birds and deer.

I hate the metric system. Water should boil at 212 degrees and not 100 degrees. 100 degrees is bathtub warm water, not boiling. grin

Oh, 7.62 x 54R??? that is not the same as a 308. the NATO marking for the .308 is 7.62, kind of like .223 rounds are 5.56

You might be able to ram a 308 in your gun but I wouldn't pull that trigger. You're right, you might be the only one using that gun for coyotes. That is almost a howitzer....of course if you aren't worried about saving the pelts, it is more than adequate

my calling/posting rig is a ruger m77 stainless in .22-250 with a 4.5-16 42mm scheels scope.

for walking cattails, and other heavy cover, a tricked out sks 7.62x39 with an aimpoint on top.

shotgun is a winchester superx2 with a new carlsons full turkey choke, or my patternmaster extended choke.

those are the 3 guns ive taken the most fox/yotes with, but have shot em with pretty much everything in my gun cabinet, from 10/22's to remington 700 in .270, to a single shot 30" barrel full choke winchester shot gun...and even a beretta 92fs pistol.

My varmint gun is just an ordinary .223 Savage 110 with a 3x9 scope, but my oldest son has been working with a stainless Ruger 77 in .243 with a heavy barrel, laminated stock and a 4X15 scope. He has it doped out all the way to 400 yards. He says that at that range he has to learn to shoot between heartbeats.

A while back, I burned up some experimental handloads on critters that were 200 grain slugs in my .338 Win mag. Not a recomended varmint gun...

I have a few new choices I picked up a few weeks ago. Remington model 700 VTR in 204, DPMS low profile classic in 223, Savage model 10 predator hunter in 22-250 and a Remington R-15 (AR-15) VTR in 223.

Only ones sighted in are the ARs.

I also have a Thompson encore with a 243 barrel and a 25-06 barrel.

Originally Posted By: Cedarcreek
223 and 22-250 is what i use 4-12 on 223- 2 -16 on 22-250 both great. bullet drops very little on 22-250 4 inches or so at 400 yards.

how high are you sighted in at 100 to get a 4" drop at 400???

I was wondering the exact samething???? I shoot a .22-250