• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

LX5 or Ice55

Sandmannd

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought the Ice-35 and used it twice before it began making some added noice...took it back and exchanged. The unit worked pretty well until that point.

When I exchanged it, I decided to upgrade to the 45 to get the free carry bag rebate($50). It just made more sense to spend the extra $50 on the display features. I have only had the 45 out on the ice once and it performed great. BUT...I happened to be fishing next to another Ice-45 and there was some annoying interference. The rejection really didn't help much. I switched to the narrow cone and that helped, of course only fishing in 13' FOW it wasn't convenient.

I am beginning to wonder if I shouldn't have chosen the LX-3.

With respect to the comments on Marcums and Vexilars not working together...

Every year three of us go on a fishing trip to Lake of the Woods... I run a vexilar yet (upgrading next year hopefully) and the other two run marcums - one LX-5 and one LX-3, all in a 8 X 10 house.

While it does take tweaking to get it accomplished, within 15 minutes of fishing we're all using our flashers at the same time with little to no interference.

It takes some tweaking, don't get me wrong, but it is possible and not terribly difficult to do so.

marine_man

Well I got a great deal on an LX-5 last night on C-list. Guy needed to sell to fix his car so only asked 4 bones. I went to pick it up and didn't turn on. He said he had never used it. I opened the back and the battery cables were still twist tied and not connected to the battery. Hooked up and works great!! Can't wait to get it on the ice!!

I also got the ice pack for my 522c from an FM'er on here so now my delema will be which to use.

Ok after using my Zercom Color Point next to Loos15's LX5 I'm not too sure about the LX5. Too often I can pic up his jig on my Color Point with my gain turned down, while he couldn't pick it up on his LX5 with the gain all the way up. Our units are generally 3 feet apart.

Any thoughts on that?

I can see a 2mm Fiska on my LX5 at less than 2 on the gain in 17' I would say he has a problem or maybe theres a current like has been stated. I fish 4 holes in my shack 9 (2 mine 2 the wifes) and normaly set on NBT so I only see the 1 I'm jigging. I'll still pick up my deadsticked minnow at times as it swims around. IMO if your colorpoints outpreforming the LX hes has an issue.

As far as the Vex/ Marcum interference reference thats an old wives tail. I have fished with every Vex model and never had an issue with interference on either mine or theirs.

I had that problem with my lx5 on the river today. I could see my line go down to about 20 feet or so and then loose it. Was fishing with a dude that had a Hummingbird 35 and he had the same problem. Another guy was using my old FL-8 and could pick up his jig. I put down my 522c and could see it almost all the way down to 36'. I would say it was probably the current.