• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Just wondering...any Carp thu ice stories..facts??

catflisher

No one has any ideas or exp catching them under the ice

no but I wish I did. There aren't many lakes around here with a healthy carp population. I'm going to give it a try on a couple lakes this winter and see what I can come up with.

I've heard of guys fishing them with a tip-up and bread ball. Others tell the story of a nightcrawler. I'll going to try some of my fly patterns through the ice.

it is possible, and I read some stuff from a guy who has successfully targeted them and caught them through the ice. As time allows, carp through the Ice is one goal I have set...... as in consistantly catching them through the ice.

I have one or two areas in mind and at least a framework for an attack plan...... and a buddy or two to bounce ideas off of, fish with and compare notes with.

Some people have said carp do not bite in water under 50 degrees, that is the magic mouth shutting number they say, but it has been shown by accidental catches while fishing for other species through the ice, and by seeking and catching them through the ice that it can be done. I have caught a ton of carp on the fly at an open spot on the river during the dead of winter..... granted the water is slightly warmer than the main body, but only by a couple of degrees.

Please keep us posted as you guys experiment with ice carp. I'm totally gung-ho about the potential.

I actually catch a lot of them fishing the backwaters of rivers. Though I am targeting pannies and crappies, the carp seems to like small plastics that imitate larva stage insects, such as ratsos and shimpos. Just make sure to use a big enough hole, I have had carp get stuck in a 6" hole!

I headed out to target some pannies today when this guy took my by suprise....

IMG_2300-1.jpg

~20" and 3 lbs

Caught on a small ice jig tipped with 3 eurolarva, I was fishing in a small lake with a max depth of 7' this fish came in at about 2' off the bottom and smacked my jig once and I missed and then hit it again and I hooked up. I think there is more out there as I marked lots of very negative fish and the gills and crappies were very aggresive.

Tell us about the redhorse. what kind of water? Was it a fluke or do you think someone might be able to target them if they had the desire? Do you remember what kind of redhorse it was?

I would love to find a place to ice some redhorse!

I have heard that in the winter all the carp in a givin lake school up into one big massive group. Is there any truth to that? I heard this when I was fishing on a lake and talked to a man that was going to net the carp for the lake association, and he said he had them marked on his sonar.

that's awesome. I wonder what parts of a lake generally hold carp like that in the winter. I know Minnetonka has had problems in the past with carp induced thin ice and many others too. What depth, bottom structure do these guys relate to?

Thanks again for showing that

For those who haven't seen elsewhere I pulled my first targeted carp through the ice last week. Keys were:

Current (i was fishing 4 inches of ice in one hole and 8 in the other)

Shallow water

Learning after the first fish that two 6 inch holes are not big enough to bring a carp through the ice.

A suspended waxworm took one and a single peice of corn on the bottom took the other.

Lots and lots of time and patience as most of them just swam by. Took many many many many carp swimming under my holes before I found one that was feeding.