• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

SaxZim Bog on a snowy day (images added 12-21)

finnbay

Steve and I took a run down to the Bog today. Met up with JayinMin for awhile but somehow missed jonny. We didn't get there until after it started snowing (missed the sunrise in the Bog that jonny took photos of). Saw a few birds. One GGO that we couldn't get close to, and a few of these:

SZ4-1.jpg

SZ5-1.jpg

SZ1-1.jpg

SZ2-1.jpg

SZ3-1.jpg

Shot side by side with Steve, so hope these have a little different look than his does.

All with the Canon Mark II and the 500mm f/4.

Oh my! There's a dust spot that eluded me! Back to the drawing board!

You should have seen the lenses these guys where carrying. They looked like some kind of Marine sniper weapons.....grin

This is all I got...lol

broeal1.jpg

Not a great shot, but two Boreal Chickadees in the same picture. I thought that was a victory in itself.

broel2.jpg

Nice stuff, Jay and Ken.

I'll be making more boreal chickadee forays to the bog this winter. My only nice sharp clear images are of them on carcasses, and I need a bit different stuff than that.

Ken, great job on the NHO in particular!

Here's my stuff. Like Ken, the 1D Mk2 and 500. All at iso800 except the shrike, which was at iso200.

3123592513_f5970a2d36_o.jpg

3124363496_d97bf4e234_o.jpg

3124363506_23a7e63840_o.jpg

3124363508_a3ce77b4f3_o.jpg

3124363512_550b83c729_o.jpg

3124363518_b1ffa5af82_o.jpg

3124459946_8937c5e88b_o.jpg

Good work guys! Jay, I was hoping to see some boreals but none showed up while we were there. I've only seen one in my life and for you to get two in one shot is remarkable! Steve, keep the lens! You really reached out to get that shrike and it looks great!

Wow! This bog must be some place. These are all wonderful photos to be looking at on a brisk Sunday morning. My hands were nearly frozen during chores but once inside with some coffee, seeing all the birds in this thread is a nice way to thaw out. Nice job all. grin

Thanks guys.

The camera battery crapped out just as I was finishing my second burst of the boreals, and even though I had the other battery in my coat pocket, by the time I swapped them out the chickadees were gone. Darn good thing there were a couple sharp shots in each burst, or there'd have been a very unhappy guy jumping up and down in the snow and cussing.

Well, there was a little cussing anyway. Why does it always happen at a key moment instead of when I'm wasting memory on black-capped chickadees and gray jays? gringrin

Also, jumped a pine marten off the carcass at Ribs2 when I pulled up.

Simply beautiful captures of those elusive boreals Steve!....A good day in the bog!....Sure would have been sweet to get a few snaps of that marten!.....I'll be making the "rounds" on Christmas Eve morning for a few hours...check out how Ribs1 is doing...maybe setup a ground blind and spend some time there......

The hawk owl expression is priceless and those boreals, man are they sharp!

Why did you scare the marten away? Geez I was hoping to get some pictures of it....grin

I have a trick up my sleeve that will hopefully bring it out of the woods.

It was my own fault on the marten, I think. I pulled up and it hopped down off the carcass, and when I stayed in the car it got back up and kept eating. Jumped down when I opened the door, and instead of letting it get used to the open door before sticking my lens out the opening, I put the lens up right away and it took off across the road. Got some blurry hop-hop images and that's it.

Next time! grin

Oh wow, so it did let you drive up to it thats good. Mind sharing what time that was at? I didn't see any fresh track today but the plow had just gone by. There is another hawk owl down there now too. Its on the corner of Stickney and 28. You know, where the crazy guy lives.