• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Can / Should I used mixed oil in my snowblower?

broman

Question

I have some leftover mixed 50:1 from my boat this summer. Is it okay to use it in my snowblower? Would it cause idling problems. My snowblower isn't the kind that needs mixed gas and it's not running well. I have the carb apart and am cleaning it but want to make sure that the gas isn't the issue.

12 answers to this question

wont cause any problems t run it. There is one product I highly recommend for dirty carbs, Mercury Quick clean. usually only avaliable at Merc dealers. Its as close to a carb job in a bottle as you can get.

Rebuild complete. Starts up with ease but idles really high. I guess I have some adjustments to do. At least I was able to blow out the driveway. Time to read the manual some more. Other than that the gas seems to be fine.

Thanks for the input everyone.

I use the same oil for my boats as for the small blower.

Rule of thumb: single stage (usually take mixed at 50:1); two-stage (bigger motor like your lawn mower with oil) take straight gas.

Either way, there's not that much oil-to-gas that would wreck anything short term. Many here dump that gas in their vehicle where it becomes maybe 20,000-to-one and makes no difference.

The nice part about putting it in my car is that I am diluting a gallon of mixed gas in 13 gallons of regular gas. I wouldn't run mixed gas thru a 4 stroke, and it is fairly likely that that is what is causing problems in your snowblower.

If you have a power auger us it in that.

A little mixed gas in the snowblower won't hurt much. I wouldn't run it on straight mixed gas though.

You'll get more carbon buildup on the plug and in the engine.

The valves in particular. A de-carb routine every once in a while will take care of that.

My snowblower is the catch all for my old gas.

I burn anything in it. If it's a really rich mixture like 16:1 or 24:1 I'll just make sure that I have some straight gas to mix with it.