Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WhiskeyPete

2000 Chevy Silverado Ext Cab---Cold passenger feet

19 posts in this topic

I have owned this truck for about 60,000 miles and every winter my girlfriend complains her feet get cold when I have the heater control set to fresh air. I let her drive last winter and I noticed the same problem. My solution has been to turn the control to recirculated air for a few mintutes, but then I have to turn it back to defrost my windshield. Is there a reason I'm getting such a draft from the cold air intake? What's the solution?

You may have to replace the cabin filter behind the glove box. I did mine last summer and had leaves and every thing else in there. $14 for the filter I tinnk. I have a 2000 silverado ex cab

GM had a bulletin regarding this several years ago. There can be an air leak from the cowl into the heater box. You need to remove the trim on the cowl by the wipers. Under that you find a oval shaped metal plate that is sealed with caulk on the pass side. You need to scrape the caulk off and with a chisel break the plate loose and remove it. Inside of that is a passageway that supplies air to the heater. The seam inside that passage is leaking and allowing cold air to come in behind the glovebox. Seal the seam up with caulk, or sealant. I have used the sticky alum foil tape. It's a little easier to work with. Doesn't have to be pretty. Replace the cover and hold it down with a couple sheet metal screws and recaulk around the edge.

That's exactly what it feels like! I figured there had to be a direct leak to the outside somewhere. I'll check it out, thanks!

i get the same thing from anybody that rides in my truck in the winter. hafnutz thanks for the heads up. i guess i have some more garage time in my future.

Glad to help out. I've done a couple of mine. Pretty common problem. Takes about an hour and really makes a difference.

hafnutz could you tell if the seam was leaking or did you just cover the whole seam?

I just posted a question about the doors on my 98, but wondering is this is the same thing you guys are talking about. Do you know if this might be affecting the old style 98 ext cab, or is it just the newer body style? Thanks.

The last one I did was my 99 Suburban but if I remember the bulletin was for the newer bodystyle (99 and newer pickups,2000 and up Sub and Tahoe) Sure took care of my problems. The seam runs all the way around the plenum. You cannot see most of it you can only feel it. You have to open the plenum up to get to it. It's not really a big job at all. Just go in and smear some silicon or seam sealer or even tape it. As long as it sticks. If you feel cold air coming out below the glovebox this is most likely the problem.

Maybe we should gather on a lake somewhere and set up an assembly line to fix all these while wetting a couple lines??? LOL

I'm in for it. Next time I'm at my dad's shop, I'm going to have to take care of this. Others had told me I had a fan that was out. Thanks!

Well, I had an easy solution to my draft. Little did I know, I have cab filters between the fan and the heater core. After removing the large cover over the heater core assembly, I found a "trap door" and inside there is two small filters side by side. PLUGGED SOLID. Everyone's happy again...and warm!

Thanks for the input! cool

You may have to replace the cabin filter behind the glove box. I did mine last summer and had leaves and every thing else in there. $14 for the filter I tinnk. I have a 2000 silverado ex cab

Told you so

How do you remove the trim on the cowl by the wipers? Is there screws or does it just snap off?

I took on this project yesterday afternoon, I dont really see what I am supose to be sealing. Where do they leak? Is it the joint that is sealed with foam? I taped up that joint and put it back together.

same thing when i had my 2000. i never did figure it out or fix it before i traded it off. Come to think of it happened in a freinds truck also

There is a seam between the airbox inside the cab and the firewall. You cannot see some of it but you can feel it. Sounds to me like you got it. It's been awhile since I've done one. Don't remember if it has foam tape or not. My guess is probably.

Funny??? I asked this same question (except it was for the drivers side) and got 1 reply on the subject over the last couple weeks.

Is this also the case with my 96 too then?