• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Making the real weeds

KG243

This has come up several times in the past. The downsides to making your own are that they usually don't hold up very well once out on the ice in those conditions, and who knows what contaminants etc. you might be putting in the water. I bought my Reel Weeds 3 years ago and they've held up great, very compact, very convenient to use, at times very effective.

I agree with Pearch Jerker, don't make your own. I tried it and it took a while to make, they lasted one trip and were frozen solid. You don't know what chemicals are in the plants you are using either. Reel Weeds are safe and hold up well. Save time and just buy the reel weeds.

Contaminants are almost a complete non-issue. (I work in engineering for a company that makes drinking water filters. I've discussed the contaminate issue with our chemist and biologist).

However, it is a stretch to build a competitive SOS for the price you can buy then for. Even if you do break even on price, you still have the labor putting it all together.

I think some people are selling their SOS. I am giving mine one more try this winter, and may sell them late ice. (Nothing wrong with them, I just don't have time to deploy them for the way I fish).

Contaminants are almost a complete non-issue. (I work in engineering for a company that makes drinking water filters. I've discussed the contaminate issue with our chemist and biologist).

However, it is a stretch to build a competitive SOS for the price you can buy then for. Even if you do break even on price, you still have the labor putting it all together.

Unless your chemist knows how and what material goes into making them, how can he state it is a non issue?

Could you please explain to me how a couple people that you work with can analyze a product without seeing it?

As far as contaminents I have no idea I may be polluting the lake, but I did make my own. I'll try to get some pictures up for you tomorrow if I have time.

I made 3 individual "weeds" each is 5' tall. Total cost was less than $15, I bought 3 bundles of greens from Wal-mart ($2 each), a spool of decoy cord on close out ($3) a six pack of decoy weights ($5) and the zip ties I had at home but I used the small cheap ones so they wouldn't add much cost. I also have enough stuff left to make at least 1 more and would only need some more greenier to complete my six.

Pretty simple, I bought what looked like a bundle of ferns. Starting from the bottom up I would take two stems and zip tie them to the cord, working my way up and filling in as I go. I also added some more bushy leaves to fill it in thicker. It took ~20 mins per strig to complete. I store them on a board with notches cut in it and hang them over the holes on clothes hangers.

They don't work as slick as the Real Weeds (set up/storage wise) and therefor I don't use them often, they haven't been out this year at all acctually. All in all you are probally better off buying the real thing, but it is possible to make your own.

Has anyone tried making these real weeds? I was thinking og giving it a try with some plastic green plants. Just checking to see if anyone has any ideas or has made them already.

I guess i don't understand why these others have had a problem with their homemade ones. I like my Homemade ones better then the ones i bought. Here is what I used.

Duck Decoy anchors

Tip Up Line.

Plastic plants from the Local pet store ( or Walmart )This is great cause you can get lots of different types of plants.

Went to the Pool/hot tube store and bought one of those Toy noodles kids play with in the pool.

Craft sewing section of walmart those spring clamps you see on sweatshirts all the time.

Zippy strips

A small Tupperware storage tub with a lid.

scrap 1 x 4 and notched V's in the ends to wind the line up with.

I made mine up 3 years ago. not one has ever fallen apart, froze up, or been a problem of any kind.

Use the small zip ties, and tie the plastis plants to the line every 6 inches or so. pull the zip ties as tight as you can.

Cut the foam noodle every 3 inches, then slide the plast spring clamp down on the line. it acts like a bobber stop for the foam.

I agree with Pearch Jerker, don't make your own. I tried it and it took a while to make, they lasted one trip and were frozen solid. You don't know what chemicals are in the plants you are using either. Reel Weeds are safe and hold up well. Save time and just buy the reel weeds.

Chemicals? what chemicals? these are plants they sell for you to put into your Fish aquariums. So people pay hunderds of dollars on their fish. i don't think they would put that into their tanks if it was gonna kill their fish.

And responding to someone different whether you break even or not on cost i can understand is an issue from some. But for others it's the satisfaction of building something on your own

I would imagine the plants made for home decoration are pretty safe for the water. Think about children in your home putting them in their mouths or whatever. If they were unsafe I have a feeling the safty folks (lead paint, etc.) would be up in arms about them.

Here's my plan : get some white pine branches, tie a window sash to them with a rope and squeeze down into the hole, using a branch or a crosspiece to rest on the hole so they don't fall down and can be removed. Cheap, bigger than real weeds, and all natural

Luker you are the man! As for them being safe in water, how safe is your lead sinker if you want to get all "tree hugerish" on us.

Good point!!! The Weight is probably the real problem as far as being unsafe.

But if you look at my Pic. the reel weed by ledredge has the big Egg sinker. I just add the Decoy anchor.

Originally Posted By: KG243
Luker you are the man! As for them being safe in water, how safe is your lead sinker if you want to get all "tree hugerish" on us.

Good point!!! The Weight is probably the real problem as far as being unsafe.

But if you look at my Pic. the reel weed by ledredge has the big Egg sinker. I just add the Decoy anchor.

Luker, I wasnt dissing your set up one bit, I was just making fun of the people using the real weeds that say they are afraid of the chemicals. Thanks for the pictures that gives me some good direction. Seems a lot cheaper then buying a pack for $100!

I have materials around my house but havent made them yet. I think this has motivated me to do so. I think when some people talk about the chemicals it is either to make themselves feel better about spending the money when they could have made them, or trying to get you to buy the sponsors product.

I made mine out of some home decorations I found at Michaels craft store.They have some long strings of leave like materials. Same idea as everyone else with the decoy line etc.

They are cheaper than aquarium plants and seem to work well for me.

I have materials around my house but havent made them yet. I think this has motivated me to do so. I think when some people talk about the chemicals it is either to make themselves feel better about spending the money when they could have made them, or trying to get you to buy the sponsors product.
i agree. heavy on the last part. ive seen posts that were several hundred words long, and had dozens of product name drops! which is cool. i understand completely. but to put such emphasis on discrediting someones project?

I think the summer lures that we all toss into the open waters would be the ones to worry about if someone wanted to ask about chemists and biologists. Dropping a few plastic weeds down a hole and taking them back out with you when you leave has to be way better than casting a 1 lb Bull Dawg out and losing it to a fish biting it off !!! Or losing multiple lures on snags etc etc..... Sonicrunch im sure your guys at work know what they are talking about...those guys with degrees in that stuff know there stuff....Looks like the way to go on these is to make your own !!