• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Real Weeds, Do They work?

my3sons

I have used them exactly once, this past thursday. Man, I'm kinda a minimalist (because I'm cheap), but we fished a bluegill perch area, smaller cobble, sand bottom. We marked a couple fish but they were hit or miss. Within 5 minutes of drilling four holes and adding the real weeds around the portable we were consistantly catching fish and the spot stayed productive throughout the rest of the afternoon.

I hear they are kinda spendy, so I won't be getting any soon, but the design and ease of use was pretty cool.

Do they work? Yes. Do they always guarantee you fish? Nope. There is nothing, not even dynamite that will GUARANTEE you fish.

I fish mostly prairie potholes with little to no structure. In these lakes there are wandering nomadic bands of fish. I've used the Reel Weeds for a couple of years now. I've found that they will bring in fish in a clear lake, but most importantly they will hold fish in an area longer. The time they hold fish in one area is more important than some may think. Let's say you're on a perch bite. You get a couple, re-bait, drop down, and fish are gone. Raise your hand if this has happened to you. OK, put down some Reel Weeds. The scenario doesn't really change except the fish stay in that spot quite a bit longer. One fish or 2 fish then turn into 4 fish or 5 fish.

Do they actually attract fish??? Honestly, I don't know if they do or not. Do they hold fish in one particular area? Darn straight they do. I can say this as I've used them enough times to see it happen.

I've heard the arguement many times of," If someone put a new Lazy boy chair in your living room, wouldn't you think that's ood?" As much as I'd like a new Lazy boy, I disagree with this way of thinking. Stop thinking like a person, and start thinking like a fish. Plain and simple, weeds hold fish. With the ease of set up and take down, they definately are worth a try.

Back to the Lazy boy.......Yup it would be odd, but I'd still probably take a seat in it and see how it feels.

Another cool feature about the Reel Weeds is when it's cold out and time to pack up, they won't be frozen in. Grab the sponge float thing, give it a squeeze and voila, weeds are free to pull up the hole.

I tried some of the EZ Weeds for the 1st time Friday on a relatively structureless lake. What I've found before on this lake is that the fish tend to roam and will come thru every 1/2 hour or hour. I placed a set of four EZ Weeds in front of my holes (outside the portable) and had fish on the screen all day long. Crappie, perch and walleye all holding in the area for much of the afternoon. It was also interesting to note that when a fish took my set line on the slip-bobber they ALL whent directly towards the weedline I had set up in front of my holes. Never once did the bobber go off to the side or back under the house. So far, I'm a believer, but it would have been nice to have someone set-up close by not using the weeds and comparing notes at the end of the afternoon.