• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

bait cast reel on the ice

planofslayer

Do any of you guys use bait cast reels on the ice for Walleye? If so what brand, model, etc, etc do you suggest? I was looking at the 32" thorne bros rods, both glass and graphite, and saw they were available with bait cast reel seats. Thx ahead of time for your input.

A Shimano Cardiff 100 or 101 class makes a nice ice reel. I have a 101 on a Jason Mitchell Elite Series 36MH Mackinaw rod, spool up with 6/20 Power Pro.

JMSC36-Mackinaw.jpg

A very light palm sized high performing reel/rod combo, I love it.

l455.jpg

*The Shimano Cardiff 100 holds 120yds of 12lb line, the 200 holds 120yds of 14lb line and the Cardiff 300 holds 110yds of 20lb line.

*Super Stopper anti-reverse for instantaneous hook-sets.

*5.8:1 retrieve ratio.

*The Cardiff series features a one-piece, die-cast aluminum body and a precision aluminum spool, all presented in classic gold/copper/bronze livery.

I use them all the time. For bobber lines I just set in a rodholder and with the freespool on the fish can take the line it needs. I have also used them without a bobber and set the freespool up so the fish can take the jig with very little pressure against it. For jigging I like the slow-fall. I believe this has triggered strikes for me. I also like being able to hit the freespool and just set the rod down if I have to attend to something else. I think Thorne brothers will put a baitcast type handle on any of their rods for a few extra bucks. For reels the ones that have the bigger level wind guide work the best (particullarly using bobber-stops). In the last couple of years I have picked up some low-end Abu Garcia ambassaders for around 50 bucks at wally world.

I think it is a 5000 something series, pretty bare bones, they are red and I picked them up at Wal-Mart for 40 or 50 bucks. This was a couple of years ago. They all seem to work. For some applications a clicker might be nice. It is just that with a bobber stop and fishing outside the one with the small level wind guide can ice up and keep the bobber stop from going into the reel.

I should not call them baitcasters. In my hands they are trolling reels.