• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What makes a truely great read in this forum???

Scoot

Some of you in here have read a couple of my stories with pics in this forum. I really enjoy taking pics on my hunts and it's a hoot to write up a story about each trip when I get back. At a different HSOforum that I check on occasionally there are a few people who do this and I love following along with their hunts as they walk me through their trip. I really appreciate them taking the time and effort to share their unique experience with me.

But I'm wondering... what makes a really great story? Specifically, what makes for a great story in this forum on this HSOforum? For those who read the stories I've posted in here, what might have improved them?

Obviously, one of the answers has to do with pictures. I'm trying to get better at taking quality pictures and I'm trying to take more action pictures when I hunt. I'm finally starting to concede arrow opportunities for camera opportunities (occasionally). I think I'll likely be doing more of that in the future.

Any tips or suggestions you can provide me to help me make a better "product" would be appreciated.

Thanks,

scoot, just my opinion, but I could almost puke when I read stuff that was written along the same lines as literary greats in classic novel form, using words most of us have to either skip, pretend to know and or fill in the blanks to continue on with the story.

for most of the people in this format,internet websites, this is the most reading they do ever.

dont bore them or steer them away with deep intellectual thoughts.

whether it mystifies, bores or confuses them, it doesn't matter, their gone man.

just tell it like you see it...and like they can imagine seeing it.

keep it simple and in layman's terms.

these people want to read things that happend that they can relate to.

my weekend with burny was classic and as punctually incorrect as could be possible but I got more feedback on that story than any other.

it's not about style and grace.

if you want to capture a large audience around here, it needs to be simple, almost believeable, and funny as he ll.

have fun!

I think the stories you've written are great.

I will say that this years elk story was a bit long winded. It was tough to keep checking back for all the "chapters". That being said it was still great writing, easy to read and understand and it made the reader "experience" your hunt. It was easy to relate to.

Yep, keep it simple. I like to hear stories, not two paragraphs describing the weather, or terrain. Get into it, hook them right away with a pic, and then lead up to the big finish. You do a nice job, but if I see a super long post, I have a tendency to not finish reading it unless it really keeps my attention. And I read a lot of books, papers, and magazines. I like that there are some amature writers on here. It shows a side that many in public don't understand. We love the outdoors, shooting something has always been a bonus for me.