• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

White cedar

TylerS

Just curious. I recently finished my first decoy. I used balsam, for ease of carving (knife and sandpaper is all I have), but after doing some research discovered this probably wasn' the best choice for wood. So, I've decided that for my next project I'd like to use white cedar ... I just have no idea where to get it. I'm up in Grand Forks but will be heading down to the cities over the holidays. Any advice is appreciated.

-Tyler

My dad just picked up 4" X 4" X 8' Long cedar post at lumber yard.

The one thing you will have to watch for are the growth rings. As you are carving one may be hard to carve through & the next one will be soft. The little that I helped with carving was one time you would have a hard time taking enough wood & the next time a big gouge. Keep in mind I'm more of a rookie carver & with practice it gets easier. Good luck & have fun.