• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

lower unit

meathunter

When i drained the lower unit in my 2stroke motor the oil was milky. There was no liquid and the previous motor that i had the same issue here as well is this normal? I drain every fall. Should this be clear oil after a season of use? If i had to replace the seals what would it appox. cost 98' 100hp 2 stroke. Is this hard to do yourself?

The oil in the lower unit should not be milky after sitting for a few days (running the gears can froth up the oil but thats different). The milky look indicates water in the oil and you need to warm it up and drain the gearcase to be sure there is no frozen water in there. It can easily crack the housing (big $).

If you are unsure about how to replace the seals, give the local marina some business and have them do it for you. Pulling the hub may take special tools and at least requires a procedure to follow. It's best to do it right.