Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Newcastle

Not getting spark?

9 posts in this topic

Basics:1997 Mazda 2200 pickup, 2wd 4cycle w/ 5 speed.

So I parked it last friday after work and didn't run it all weekend. Monday morning (parked outside and it was darn cold) it didn't want to start-figured it was turning over very slowly and battery was most likely just frozen. Put the charger on it that night and it turned over fine-but still wouldn't start. I figured it was flooded maybe? so I gave it a day. Well now I've put it in the garage and tried to warm it as best as possible but it still wont go. Tried starting fluid thinking if it was fuel deprived-at least it would "pop" for a second, but nothing.

Any ideas-hints?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did you actually check for spark or are you just assuming?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No-haven't checked for spark. Just a guess based on the fact that I wasn't getting anything when spraying it with starting fluid down the intake.

Is there an easy way short of pulling a spark plug?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Spark tester, Test light, an old spark plug, your finger (you'll know if there is enough spark grin). Personally I like an adjustable spark tester. Not only can I see the spark but I can measure its intensity. If this has a distributor pull of the cap and check for oil. there should be none! also make sure the rotor is turning while the engine is cranking (broken timing belt?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your finger? LOL. That is something to do when your hungover, it really gives you a rude awakening!

You can get a spark tester at just about any parts store for less than 10 bucks that will get the job done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's no easier way to find leaking wires! The guys I work with think I'm crazy but I have done it for so long that the 30 to 50k volts just tickle. The higher voltage stuff hurts!!! shocked

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Airjer The guys you work with are NOT the only ones that think that. I'll try to get Ken to give you a call. A guy gets pretty lazy playing MR mom. But we'll see if I cannot get him to at least dial you up.

Sorry it took me a while to get back to ya but our internet flakes out whenever it gets cold. So I cannot get on here as often as I used to. Got comcast testing but it's warm when they come so it working great. Ha cannot get a break.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks ZAP! Ken has seen me do it numerous times!! grin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back to the question posed - I've read that it's possible that you flooded it so badly that there isn't any compression left because all the oil has been washed off the cylinder walls. The cure was to squirt some oil through the spark plug holes and put in new plugs and see what happens. Great task when it's parked outside.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0