• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Not getting spark?

Basics:1997 Mazda 2200 pickup, 2wd 4cycle w/ 5 speed.

So I parked it last friday after work and didn't run it all weekend. Monday morning (parked outside and it was darn cold) it didn't want to start-figured it was turning over very slowly and battery was most likely just frozen. Put the charger on it that night and it turned over fine-but still wouldn't start. I figured it was flooded maybe? so I gave it a day. Well now I've put it in the garage and tried to warm it as best as possible but it still wont go. Tried starting fluid thinking if it was fuel deprived-at least it would "pop" for a second, but nothing.

Any ideas-hints?

Spark tester, Test light, an old spark plug, your finger (you'll know if there is enough spark grin). Personally I like an adjustable spark tester. Not only can I see the spark but I can measure its intensity. If this has a distributor pull of the cap and check for oil. there should be none! also make sure the rotor is turning while the engine is cranking (broken timing belt?)

Your finger? LOL. That is something to do when your hungover, it really gives you a rude awakening!

You can get a spark tester at just about any parts store for less than 10 bucks that will get the job done.

Airjer The guys you work with are NOT the only ones that think that. I'll try to get Ken to give you a call. A guy gets pretty lazy playing MR mom. But we'll see if I cannot get him to at least dial you up.

Sorry it took me a while to get back to ya but our internet flakes out whenever it gets cold. So I cannot get on here as often as I used to. Got comcast testing but it's warm when they come so it working great. Ha cannot get a break.

Back to the question posed - I've read that it's possible that you flooded it so badly that there isn't any compression left because all the oil has been washed off the cylinder walls. The cure was to squirt some oil through the spark plug holes and put in new plugs and see what happens. Great task when it's parked outside.