• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Say goodbye to your crappie minnows

CrappieAttitude

For the past many years I have thrown away the idea that you need crappie minnows along in order to catch crappies. I have exclusively gone to jigs tipped with plain white euros or plastics.

Every once in a great while (maybe a once a year red lake run) I break down and get minnows, however most of the time that I buy them I end up dumping them out or forgetting about them and then find my bucket transformed into a minnow-sicle.

If there are some of you sitting on the fence not knowing whether or not to make that leap onto the plastic bandwagon or even worse the "goodbye to minnows" bandwagon, I encourage you to give it a try. Nothing is more fulfilling than catching numerous crappies without having the dreaded task of rebaiting minnows after every fish. The more time your bait is out of the water while re-baiting the more potential fish you are missing.

Give it a whirl and happy slab hunting.

CA

Alright Attitude, all I use in the spring are 1/32 jigs and twisty tails or tubes. I guess I've never tried anything else since these always worked for me. Do you use them in the winter too? Can you post any other recommendations?

Since it is hard water season, my mind is more focused on ice fishing, so my original post was dealing with my ice fishing tactics for crappies. Sorry if that confused anyone.

As far as plastics go, I have a variety of different colors that I use, however for crappies I have had the best luck with the pink / white color combinations. Either a pink head and a white body, or a glow white head and a pink body.

My favorite plastics are the little atom Nuggies, Wedgees, and Micro Noodles. My other favorite is the Custom Jigs and Spins Ratso. If I am not using a plastic, I can definately tell you that I will be fishing with plain milky white eurolarvae. Sometimes when I feel really crazy, I tip my plastic with a euro. grin

Hope this helps

CA

Why all the hate on minnows. They do the job well, and aren't much of a hassle.

Nothing wrong with being versatile, just don't get all high and mighty because you don't use minnows.

I am a proud minnow user, may they bury me with my minnow scoop in my hands.

nothing against minnows here either but I have found that plastics are more effective and efficient.....I will sit a minnow under a bobber if someone brings with minnows but I catch most of my fish on plastics

Support your local bait shop, buy minnows. You don't use them that's ok you may get some handy advise from the bait shop.

This may have been off the subject but bait shops are closing all around us and with these baitless jigs it must take a bit from them.

Oh ya I forgot, I like minners but I will give the baitless a try.

I'm a plastics guys as well but I still buy plenty of bait, gear, propane, plastics, jigs, maps.... from the baitshops. They are a great source of info regarding the bite and ice conditions and it would be a shame if they end up closing.

As far as plastics go a new favorite of mine is the Lindy techno glo ice plastics. In particular the micro minno has been very effective for me. By the way, walleyes love plastics as well.

I've thrown down plastic a few times and was watching with the camera...It definatly seems to bring the bigger girls out at first...Usually gets something going right away...if there's anything that will get going...sometimes you follow up with grubs and minnows after you have stirred some interest with the plastic...They do work,. as far as I know from personal experience...Or, maybe I'm lying??...How do they work in deeper darker water..???...The St. Croix....any reports on that????...Happy Icemas!!

Glad to see Im not the only one doing away with minnows,used to buy a scoop or two every time out,but what a waste,but winters end a good chunk of change down the drain. I just recently started using lures like Frostee jigging spoons tipped with larvae rather than a minnow or minnow head. One less thing to haul with also.

How do you guys run two lines with plastics? I would assume you don't fish plastics under bobbers......so are you keeping action on two rods at the same time or going back and forth every few seconds/minutes?

I could see fishing a bobber/minnow on one line and working another line constantly.....just trying to understand how you guys usually fish when using plastics.

If I use two lines I will use a minnow on the deadstick. Although I've catch a fair number for fish deadsticking plastics. Reality is that I usually catch more fish working one rod with plastics then those soaking minnows. Not always but close.

So, how do you jig your plastics. I know the lame old let the fish tell you line, but seriously, where do you start. Specifically:

bounce the tip what 1 inch every 2 seconds

3 inches

1 foot

bounce it 1 inch 3 times and then raise it 4 inches to see if the fish will chase.

How do you do it?