• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Collapsable fish houses????

mnfathead

Wondering if anyone has info on the fold down fishhouses like the Eskimo 3 Quick fish or the Clam Base camp. The fold down houses with no floor, super light weight. Are they worth the money or are they junk? Any info would be great thanks, my sister is looking for a xmas gift for her husband and looking at these as they have a Jeep so not alot of room.

Wondering if anyone has info on the fold down fishhouses like the Eskimo 3 Quick fish or the Clam Base camp. The fold down houses with no floor, super light weight. Are they worth the money or are they junk? Any info would be great thanks, my sister is looking for a xmas gift for her husband and looking at these as they have a Jeep so not alot of room.

I picked up an otter lodge in the off season but also got a vehicle that was smaller and no trailer so my options were limited. I was at the ice show and I was looking at both the Clam Base camp and Eskimo 3, I went with the Clam Base Camp as I felt (IMO) that the material was heavier, but the pole system appeared to be the same.

I used it last weekend for the 1st time. I used the shoulder straps and carried it out as we walked out and didn't get weighted down by it, supper light.

Right out of the box (no assembly needed) set up was done in 5 min and plenty of room and solid once I figured out that it needs to be staked down properly in any wind. The stakes provided screw in very easy and hold extremely well. I had myself and Sandmannd in there with our gear and had plenty of room (and we are not small guys).

I would vote for either one but this is just my opinion on the Clam Base Camp! Good luck and I have a Jeep as well and it fits in there, heck it fits in the trunk of my focus too!

What is the difference between the floor less fish houses and the ameristep ground blinds used for deer hunting?

Are the ice screw stakes sold separately?

I don't think the blinds have windows other than screens do they? IF they do, no reason you couldn't use one. Probably lighter material though.

What is the difference between the floor less fish houses and the ameristep ground blinds used for deer hunting?

Are the ice screw stakes sold separately?

I often use my ground blind for fishing on nicer days. The drawback is that it's very light material with no insulation at all, other than maybe a black interior. It keeps the wind off you, but that's about it. And there are no windows, other than screens. It's better than nothing. It's lightweight, cheap, and on nice days, it works out pretty well. To anchor it, use a cordless drill to put in some pilot holes at the corners, and use screw-in tree steps.

Also, remember to put your DNR number on it somewhere. I have it laminated, and just pin it in place with safety pins.

I have three Otter Cabins. They are the perfect size for two guys or you and a couple kids. The best part is you can load and unload it by yourself. The New Clam is a nice house but when they say it's a two man or a three man house, they mean that's how many people it takes to load it in the back of a truck. I have one of the original Otter Cabins and I have two of their brand new ones. All I can say is they take a beating! No other brand has one as light and durable. Oh and the canvas on the new ones is incredible. I was out the other day -15deg and the windows and canvas were extremely pliable. This doesn’t sound like a big deal but so many people with other brands have cracked windows and/or are too hard to set up if it’s really cold out. Just something to keep in mind.

I am new to ice fishing (more accurately I've not ice fished in a long time and am getting back into it). I looked at A LOT of houses at the ice fishing show - came a way a bit overwhelmed. I looked closely at the clam and the Eskimo QF 3 - I decided on the QF. No specific reason - I thought the material of both felt similer, poles seamed similar, ice screws I thought the QF seamed better. The main reason I went with the QF is the windows are velcro'd in. Having looked at many used ones (not necessarily the same style) I know it is a fact that the windows will crack when it is cold. Because they are velcro'd in all I need to do is pull it off and get a replacement from Eskimo. Not a huge deal - just seemed like a nice well thought-out detail. Set-up is easy, had it out this past Sunday morning - 12 below and buddy heater kept it warm enough to be able to take off my coat. One recommendation - practice taking it down before you get on the lake. We had a nice layer of frost going on the inside and the material got stiff making it somewhat hard to put back together. Because I had practiced beforehand I managed to get it put away with minimal cuss words being said smile. Good luck in your purchase - Paul