• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2000 ford explorer sport trouble starting in the cold after sitting

This morning, much like a few of the mornings in the past week or two, after sitting in a non-heated garage, my truck, a 2000 ford explorer had trouble starting... does anyone know if there is a plug-in for a block heater built in to this thing? I looked, but couldn't find one... but maybe one of you gearheads know more than me.

Maybe it isn't the problem, because it's not losing power to start it... i mean, on a full tank of gas, and it was reving like on a full battery charge, but it wouldn't turn over. Finally, after five attempts, maybe 10 minutes inbetween trys, it turned over, and I drove to work.

I put the key in, it rev,rev,rev,rev,rev,rev... and so on, not slow as if the battery is drained, but it seems like its not getting a spark, or maybe the gas line is frozen, or something.

Any Ideas on why its having trouble turning over?]

Any Ideas if there is a plug in for overnights?

If the starter is physically cranking the engine over than the engine is "turning over"

If it is "turning over" but the engine will not start than that is referred to as a "crank no start" So in your case it turns over or cranks just fine but it will not start.

Does it ever eventually start? Or has it not started for a couple of weeks?

Most of them came with block heaters, alot of times you need to dig for the cord and hang it where you can access it if you want to use it. The temps we had shouldnt of caused it to not start, there must be a different problem. You could have a frozen gas line, but since MN uses 10% ethonal that shouldnt be the case. The next time it doesnt start, watch what the "check engine" light is doing, does it come on when you turn the key to the run position, then when you turn it to the crank position does the light go off? That would be normal, if it doesnt do that, then we can move from there. Another option is to bring it in and see if there is any codes in it, alot of big parts suppy stores will do this for free.

Airjer, It did eventually start today, and I have been driving it every day for months...

Last monday, when it was real cold, it seemed to do the same thing... but that day, It didn't start, and after a few trys, it did start. Then I took the key out, and tried to restart it, and it cranked but didn't start... then i let it sit for a bit, and came out again and it started.

It worked fine every day, but I've noticed when turning the key, it doesn't have the same *pop* to the start, as other cars, and this should have... (you know, when you turn the key, the engine *pops* on...)

4wanderingeyes, the check engine light did, and does seem to be working correctly by your description.

When was the last tune-up?

I guess I would be curious to see if there is fuel pressure when it acts up as well. Next time it acts up, on the second attempt to start hold you foot all the way to the floor and try to start, be prepared to let off the gas in case the vehicle starts. If that didn't help try cycleing the key a half dozen time. Turn the key to the on (not crank) position for 3 seconds then off then on for three seconds, etc. On the forth or fifth time try to start it.

Did you try cycling the ignition to see if you are dealing w/ a fuel pressure issue? If that did not solve anything...how does your engine run immediately after it starts? Any chugging or hesitations? Also, how many miles on the vehicle? Have you checked the condition of your spark plugs? And do you have a 'check engine' or 'service engine soon' light on while driving?

Sometimes when it starts, it seems like not all cylindars are firing, and it kind of chugs, and then after it warms up slightly it seems to run great. There are about 106k miles on it. It has started fine(sometimes reluctantly) since my original problem. It drives just fine otherwise (knock on wood).

I think at the very least you need to pull a plug and see if it is worn out? At that mileage you are for sure due for a tune-up. If you had one done recently please tell me you had the O.E plug installed and not anything with the "bosch" name one it.

I guess I would be curious to see if there is fuel pressure when it acts up as well.

Yep, just did a fuel pump on Ford CV for this same issue (maybe).

He would park in the garage, it would start fine (about 40 deg is what he told me). He noticed if he parked outside over night it would not start, but turn over. He would put the battery charger on it (drained down during cranking) and come back to it in the middle of the day and it would start. He put a new battery in it.

Well, he parked outside on a cold night the other day and the next morning he had a no start issue again (eng. crank over but would not fire. He did say it sputtered a little at first). Went over to his house when it did not start the other day and after checking some things, listened for the fuel pump. I heard nothing. Went up and checked for fuel pressure at the fuel rail and nothing. Checked the fuse for the pump, (for the heck of it, it was right their grin) and it was good. Went back to gas tank and banged on it with a rubber mallet with the key on and Buzzzz right away.

New pump, fuel filter and did an oil change. It started up nice after and he picked it up, so we will see grin

Either Motorcraft or Autolites.

I get a $100 to tell you that those nice new bosh platnum +4's that the friendly folks at checker sold you are the cause of your no start in the bitter cold of winter. Then I get to charge you for a tune up, oil change and any number of other things I find wronG and you approve for me to do, $$$$$$$$! If you have an extra $100 + tow than buy all means put in the bosch plugs. The end result will be much better if you stick with the O.E. (original equipment) plugs!!

Ok, now this is wierd, coincidence, maybe, but what do you know?

I have two keys, the factory original, and a copy. It seems that when i try and start the car with the copy, it cranks, but doesn't start. When I use the factory original key, it will start. I'm not sure if this relates to my past starting problems, but what the heck?

I have two keys, the factory original, and a copy. It seems that when i try and start the car with the copy, it cranks, but doesn't start. When I use the factory original key, it will start. I'm not sure if this relates to my past starting problems, but what the heck?

At some point the theft left should have been on while using the "copy" key?