• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

another satellite question

Ryan_V

Question

I'm upgrading my dish network to and HD DVR. If I give them my old receiver, I get a $10 credit. My question is, can I use that old receiver on another tv, without the extra lease fee they charge, since this receiver is mine?

9 answers to this question

You can keep it on your account but you will have to pay an extra $5 a month for it (add $5 if it's a DVR model, and add another $5 if it's not plugged into a phone jack. so it will be from $5 - $15 a month to keep it on top of your new plan. The new HD recivers can run 2 tv's so you may not need it. I got good money for 2 of my old recievers on the e-auction site.

I wouldn't send the old receiver back to them. All they do is recondition it and sell or lease it back to a new customer. The $10 that you would get for it would not even come close to the money you could recoup from a private party. What model receiver is your old one? It is very unlikely that it is a dual tuner receiver as Dish Network mainly leases dual tuner and DVR receivers. If you are upgrading and they are asking for the old receiver, I would assume that they are aware that you would like two TVs with service. They will more than likely install a 722 or a 222 depending on whether or not you requested DVR service. If you want DVR service, the 722 will add independant DVR service to 2 TVs in which the main TV is HD. If you have a land line phone, there wouldn't be an additional charge for the second TV. If not, you will need a phone line bypass that in turn results in the same thing as having 2 receivers on the account, $5. Dual tuner receivers are the only receivers that require a phone line hooked up to avoid the additional fees. Are you going directly through DN or through a retailer/subcontractor? Any other questions, let me know.

I went directly through dish. that's the only way I got the deal I wanted (same as "new" customers) I ordered a 722 receiver. so will dish de-activate my old receiver?? I guess I'll keep it if I can get more for it outright. I'm not even sure my old receiver will work with the new dish. my old one is a 501 I believe.

thanks for the info lakedoctor. so, will my old receiver work if I try it? and how much could I get if I sold it outright? do I have to worry about my personal info being on there, and if so how do I get rid of it?

I just discontinued Directv and went with cable. They made me send the boxes back. I got all the packing material yesterday and sent it back Fedex this morning. They say if you don't send it back within seven days it's up to $427 a receiver. I'm pretty cheesed at these folks, first you have to pay the up front cost, then you have to pay to repair or upgrade the stupid things. I don't know that I'll be going back to dish ever.

Once your new 722 is activated, the installer should have them deactivate and take the 501 off of the account. When your receiver is off of the account, the user information isn't available until it is placed back on another account. If you go to channel 100 and go to customer info, you can see all of your information, but once that receiver is deactivated, the customer info will not or should not have it attached to an account. Also with your new dish, the receiver will work as the new dish and LNB are backward compatable. I would say you could probably get around $50 for the receiver. I would tell the installer that you want to keep the old dish and possibly sell the dish and receiver as a package. He may say that you need to return the old dish, but it is worth a shot. For the package, you could possibly get around $100.

Sandmannd, the receivers you had were probably leased receivers and not purchased equipment. I would agree that customer service is lacking from both companies and 1 out of 10 customer service reps is willing to help you and make you satisfied. In the end, it all comes down to your installation. If your installation has been done correctly, you really shouldn't have to deal with CSR unless upgrading and even then the "switching to the competitor" almost always works. Your satellite system is only as good as the installer who installed it.

got mine installed this morning. all went well, the guy that came from dish network was very nice and seemed very knowledgeable. I now have HD!!! smile I totally disconnected my antenna. I had still pulled my locals in on my antenna, but went with the dish dvr advantage which includes locals. so I hooked my other 2 tvs to the receiver as the second tv!! so far, love the new set up. I did end up sending the receiver back with the tech. he was very nice. I figured I might be able to get more than the 10 they are giving me, but it's gone and I don't have to wory about it. I ended up keeping my old dish, and he added another one. he said he could put one dish up to do both, but he said he finds he gets a better individual signal from 2 dishes, I had room so I said go for it!!