• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mr Heater Cooker vs. Mr Heater buddy

kywest

I currently have the Mr. Heater cooker and really like it. Have the hose to attach a 20 pound tank to it which I really like. All the guys I have fished with over the past few years have all had the buddy and I am wondering why. Is it that much better of a unit? My fiance said she would buy me one for christmas if I wanted it. Do I tell her yes or just stick with what I have and get something else?

The buddy and big buddy are a "safer" alternative. Are they better yes and no (that debate has just about been beatin to death over the last couple of years. I prefer the big buddy to the sunflower style heaters, but you either like them or you don't. There's no in between!

The reason I like my big buddy is the built in saftery feature, low oxygen sensor and it shuts off if tipped over. I like the fact I can put the back of it right next to the canvas of my otters and not have to worry about it burning it. I also like the built in fan that helps circulate the air for a more even heat.

I have used both and I gave my sunflower heater to my father-in-law becuase I never used it after I purchased my big buddy!

Thats what I was looking for. I wondered if the outer portion of it got hot like the sunflower style do. The fan and the sensor are also a plus. Thanks a lot. You basically answered all my questions in your one post.

The little buddy and big buddy can be run on a twenty pound tank. The only hose available for the little buddy is unregulated (can also be used for the big buddy) and it is suggested that a filter is used and that the tank is shut off first which allows the heater to burn off the pressure in the hose to help reduce the chances of contaminates being squeezed out of the hose.

Big Buddy Hose Clarification post

The quick coupler Big Buddy hose addressed the issues with line contamination due to internal degradation of the line.

If you disconnect it after use, the pressure is released completely, or shut off the fill valve and run all line pressure out, that way pressure is not retained in the line causing stress and that was what the culprit was to many control valves on earlier models being plugged up or damaged.

A clean bulk tank is still a must, a filter is still a wise precaution but not an essential one. A rusty tank spells problems for sure.

The quick coupler is the way to go.

If you disconnect it after use, the pressure is released completely, or shut off the fill valve and run all line pressure out, that way pressure is not retained in the line causing stress and that was what the culprit was to many control valves on earlier models being plugged up or damaged.

The quick connect hose is regulated at the tank. The hose never experiences the pressures that a non regulated hose will have. There is no need to disconnect, bleed off, or filter (currently there is not one available that I am aware of) a regulated quick connect hose!!!

Tell me if i'm correct...if i'm getting my first "hose" for a little buddy, big buddy, or a heater/cooker, shouldn't I just get the green hose and then I dont have to worry about any issues at all ???

I have had no experience with the new green hose. Any new hose is going to be better than a hose that has been in service for many years. I think this green hose was developed specifically to combat the issue with the contaminates being squeezed out of the hose internally.

The best hose for the Big Buddy is still the regulated quick connect hose! It is a low pressure hose so the chances of any contaminates being squeezed out of the hose are just about none.