• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

carbon monoxide in the flip over shanty

Lund1700Angler

i don't think you would have to worry about that. to much air moving through them. anything that burns creates co, so there is some present. i just don't think enough could get trapped inside one. if it could happen i think we would have heard about it by now.

Years ago, both my little guy and I were so tired, had headaches and felt nauseated, after just an short evening of fishing in a zipped up shelter. I didn't think about why then. I didn't know any better. Later, I found out why. Why do you think ice shelters have vents on them nowadays? Always keep fresh air circulating in.

Dang straight there is CO building up! Watch yourself.

I've had overexposure one time in a suitcase style so I can tell when I'm getting on the edge.

In my Voyageur I can tell when I need to get back outside for awhile. If I don't spend some time in fresh air periodically during the day, I wind up with a wicked headache by night time.

And I don't drink too much beer either! wink

Keep your vents open and if you don't move much during the day, just flip her over (or open the door) every once in a while to clear your air.

That move does work too if your buddy drank too much beer. wink

Is there a "safe" style ice fishing heater??

yes there is electric heaters are a fool proof way of stopping carbon dioxide

or get clean burning propane heaters like the "MR HEATER FORCED AIR PROPANE HEATER" $199.99

or the mr heater basecamp heater. which has an oxygen depletion sensor so it automatically shuts if when there isnt enough oxygen. so it depletes the chance of a fire hazard and carbon monoxide poisining. $69.99

both these heaters can be found on cabelas

Carpmanjake

Dude Have oyu seriously caught all those big fish? if so where do you fish. I saw your most recent pics!!! Nice work!!!! Iam assuming you are from some where up north eh. I grew up in todd county just curious if you are from that area. keep up the good work of making me jealous!!

I always make sure I get some fresh air every half hour or so just to be safe. I always keep the air vents open and keep the door open at the top. I've had the burning eyes and headache from my sunflower before and it's not fun. I haven't had those issues with my big buddy, but I still get out for fresh air anyway.

Buddy heaters detect CO2. I use a heater cooker and keep my vents open. Sometimes crack the door at the bottom and try to open it now and then to get the fresh air in. You can let a lot of air in and warm it up in about 2 minutes with that heater. You could also get a battery operated CO2 detector to put in it.

I've one of the mantles on my lantern fall off and i didnt notice and my eyes started burning and felt sick to my stomach ion a clam 5600, i know that that was pure CO going in but still i would definatly keep the vents open

On a long day of fishing I almost always get a headache from the CO2. Before I get criticized I always keep one of my windows open, I'm just sensitive to it.

I once almost fell asleep, luckily I was able to realize it was from the CO2 and quickly opened up the door.

Ice fishing can be a dangerous sport, weather it be from the ice conditions or the air we breath you gotta be alert when your out there.

On a long day of fishing I almost always get a headache from the CO2. Before I get criticized I always keep one of my windows open, I'm just sensitive to it.

I once almost fell asleep, luckily I was able to realize it was from the CO2 and quickly opened up the door.

Ice fishing can be a dangerous sport, weather it be from the ice conditions or the air we breath you gotta be alert when your out there.

that it is... that it is. just got to be carefull.

Every time I go fishing with the father in law I hear the story about the time they where fishing in the bitter cold with the sunflower on hi. The both started getting tired and the headaches started. His buddy went to light a cigarette and couldn't get it lit. They looked over at the heater and it was just about out. They realized what was going on and opened the door ASAP! So it is very possible!!!

No matter what anybody tells you, DO NOT COUNT ON THE VENTS TO PROVIDE ENOUGH FRESH AIR. BUY A BATTERY OPERTED CO DETECTOR.

I posted on here last year and again earlier this year an experience I had in my portable with a propane lantern. Vents were open, even had the little side windows open for extra air flow. Long story short, I got extremely sick due to CO poisoning. I was lucky that I was feeling ill and got out. I ended up puking all over the ice.

Next day I setup the portable in my garage with the home CO detector, which has LED readout. Put the propane lantern in and CO pegged at 999 ppm in about two minutes. I used this same propane lantern for years and never had a problem. Changed mantles and it still pegged the CO detector. You can't tell from the way that it burns that it is any different than it was previous times I used it. So just because an item is fine one day your ouot fishing, next time your out it could produce enough CO to kill you.

I made the switch this year to the mr. heater buddy. I had always used the sunflower type of a heater. It has made a huge difference. Last year I would come home tired, sometimes with headaches if I didn't have my door opened enough. This year with the mr. heater buddy, I haven't felt tired or headaches after being on the ice for 10-12 hours.

I was just wondering about what you guys think about the carbon monoxide that is present in an ice fishing tent when running a mr heater cooker style heater. Is there enough CO that can build up and be have ill effects on a person??

Just a thought!

There is as everyone else has said and that is why I can't be in a hut for very long time with a cooker or reg sunflower...headaches and the feeling of that [PoorWordUsage] is unstandable