• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pattern master chokes. are the worth the money?

Just a quick question on what you guys think about the pattern master chokes. I was intrested in buying one but after seeing the price i wasn't quite sure if they are worth the money? how much better are they then factor chokes??

they are what they are; just like any other choke, there are loads that will flat out perform out to ranges farther than you should probably be shooting, but on the flip side, there are loads that you still wont hit the broad side of a barn with. i have the extended, and have used it for snows, pheasants, honkers, crows, pigeons, and predators.

Patternmaster chokes are designed to work with larger shot sizes. That being stated, you should test pattern all shotguns with every load you intend to use. All guns have loads they like adnd don't like.

I have a ported PM in my 10 ga auto and it is the best choke I have put in it.

Tyler. I have used a PM in my X-2 and SP-10 for years. The patterns will be tighter. If you are off an inch, you are off a mile!

I shoot every load through it. I shoot 1's, BB, BBB and T's though it. You cannot believe the pattern of 1's at 40 yards.

Well worth the money IMO!

you will learn to aim with it and just not flock shot they hold patterns very tight and if ya dont learn to aim they arent worth it you can shoot any type of load threw them and have fantastic patterns they do have a special one for 3.5" shells but other than that there all the same. I dont have one but my buddy does and he is still getting used to the tightness of it. I use a carlsons IM and like it I'ts good till about 45 and after that its not exsistant. if you have ever shot a full choke thirty inch barrel they pattern about the same. on a side note if you need a pattern master your not letting they birds work you long enough. I would maybe like one for late season ducks as there feathers are thicker but I just try to shoot them in the lips when their feet are down. thier is no reason for them really.

worth the money yes to some people

worth the money no to some people

I have seen great results with the extended patternmaster which are designed for 3 1/2" shells but they'll work with 3 inch however, they work great for cripples on water over 30 yds when my Haydel's choke won't finish the cripples, had to have my friends finish it off.

It kills at short range (decoying) and works well for outside spread shots under 35 yds. I have not seen much with the Short Range and normal Patternmaster chokes. All of the guys I hunt with use extended.

thanks for all the info. i'll prolly just stick with my brileys decoy choke for now if the patternmasters aren't what they seem to be.... for now anyway. Quackaddict9 what part of minnesota are u from? i seen some of ur pics and my god u do pretty freakin good.

Quote:
Quackaddict9 what part of minnesota are u from? i seen some of ur pics and my god u do pretty freakin good.

say what? lol yeah it was a fun season this year.

Like my location says: Bemidji, that would be approx. 210 miles north of Minneapolis and do most of the hunting on private land NW of Bemidji- Mostly around Thief River Falls.

oh and I used to use a briley's goose choke and liked it alot but got a new gun and bought the Haydels, Looking into a patternmaster though. IF you are killing birds just fine, no reason to switch over to something else.

oh. my uncle has a cabin on leach lake east of walker i'm up there quite a bit and never really saw a whole lot of ducks. we got some deer hunting land a couple miles out of CASS right on some like 50 acre private marsh that i've never hunted but if theres alot of ducks by you maybe there will be some out there?(nobody hunts it) i'll have to give it a try this next year.

I have two buddies that have the extended. One is by far one of the best shots I've ever seen with a gun, and the other was always a good shot but still hasn't learned how to use it yet. The chokes definately take some getting used to, but once learned, can really be effective on Ducks and Geese. I do find they mangle birds pretty bad within moderate distances compared to standard chokes. Personally I'd put it in if birds that day just don't want to make a full committment. And for geese, most of the people I know who shoot patternmasters use 2 shot steel. But these are purists who refuse to shoot anything outside of 40 yds also.