• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Insulating Access Door

pisces

I insulaed the attic on the cabin, fiberglass batts. Question is: access "door" is a square of drywall approx 2ft x 3ft that you just push up and move aside. Now that rectangle is the only spot uninsulated. How can I correct this? I can only think of somehow glueing some stuff to the back of it. Anyone have a solution?

When I had that kind of access I built a 1x6 box,It sat on the ceiling joists around the access hole,and was filled with r-19 batt pieces and chicken wire top & bottom to hold the insulation and keep it light, the drywall had batts glued to it.

I'd lift the drywall piece till it lifted the box,then slide it aside for entrance,then in reverse to seal.

Cut a piece of rigid insulation and glue it to the back of the sheetrock. Then pull a piece of regular batt insulation over the top when you close it to help seal any little air gaps.

This should work great for the 1 time each year you will use it.

Box the access in. Most centers are 24". I use 1 x 12 pine. Flush them to the finished side of the sheetrock then nail them in to the rafters or bottom cord. Then glue and butt nail the two ends to those. There is your box. The batts will butt up to your box.

Now you'll make stops for the access door. 1 x 1 sanded and finished then nailed flush to the bottom of the box. That again will be flush to the inside of the sheetrock. Use foam weatherstrip on top your stops. Glue foam insulation to the access door for insulation and to make it ridged. You can glue a batt on top of that for a compression fit to the box. Trim the box and your done.

On that program that's on Thursday nights at 7 on public TV they had a deal where they bought a pre-fab box deal that was made out of rigid foam insulation. It seemed to me that it would be pretty easy to make one up yourself. I think the show has a HSOforum that allows you to search for things - maybe you could spend a bit of time checking out their solution and borrow the concepts. There was some trick to their rig that seemed really smart at the time but I'm too dumb to remember what it was.