Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
slabchaser

wild itch

6 posts in this topic

hey guys and gals, ive been pretty interested in making my own rod for a while. Now is the time for me to do it. I wanna build a ice rod for myself and a spinning open water rod for my dad. what do i need. I have a magazine of different items. I was thinking about just buying a packaged spinning rod for my dad and puting it together for my first time. but the ice rod I wanna do the hard way. kinda lost on what materials I need.

You will need a blank, a handle, a tip top guide and a 3 or 4 guides depending on the length and action of the blank. You will need an epoxy to glue the handle on, thread to wraps the guides on, and thread epoxy. You are going to need something to act as a stand, a cardboard box with v notches will work, a cup to put thread in and a couple of books to add tension on the thread.

Here is a thread from a while back that may help some. If you need more detail ask some specific questions and I will try to answer them.

browse this link

midwest rod and reel were really helpful for me. I went there looking to buy some items to make myself an UL ice rod and they hooked me up with everything I needed. They even gave me some tip top glue free of charge because they were out of the off the shelf stuff, great guys!

You could always check with the guys at Thorne Bros or Gary's Custom Rods in Anoka. Both will help you out, and make sure you get just what you are looking for.

Not to take anything away from our sponsors or any other good vendor, but there is something to be said for doing some research and sorting through the stuff yourself.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Well this warm winter should help out this coming year pretty well.
    • Well, today was both awesome and extremely disappointing. We hadn't been hunting my pintail, wigeon and mottled duck spot because I had heard it got beat up pretty bad over the weekend and I wanted to let it rest for a few days & build some birds back up. Got all set up & had enough pintails work to make it interesting, but the wigeon were pretty much a no-show. The majority of the pins (a couple thousand!) landed to the west about 1/2 mile away in an area I've never seen birds work. Buddy shot one, and we had a flock of 8 buzz us while we were picking dekes (as they always do). On the plus side, we were only 1 bird short of our pintail limit (2 hens didn't make the pic) and 2 of them shot their first pintail. One guy that has been hunting for 25 years shot 2 gorgeous pins that are wall bound, the other guy that shot his firsts got a drake and a hen. All had sprigs but some were pulled before the pic to save for mounting as we didn't want them to get broken during transport. Also not pictured are 2 drake shovelers and a drake and hen red. All in all a slow day but my buds were ecstatic. Tomorrow, we head to a lake that I've never hunted but has had a lot of cinnamon teal (as well as bwt, gwt, wigeon, gads, fulvous and whistling ducks, pins and mallards) shot out of it this year. Wish us luck!!  
    • Well they build a few bikes but not really the shows shtick!
    • The state’s deer herd is growing, the 2016 harvest suggests. http://www.startribune.com/based-on-2016-harvest-state-s-deer-herd-appears-to-be-growing/410595495/  
    • A site I came across that is a pretty good database for what is going on nationally   http://www.deerfriendly.com
    • I don't identify as Republican.   You identify as Libertarian, right?
    • When we fish portables we all have our own  
    • Special SE Minnesota deer hunt to expand after sixth CWD discovery   http://lacrossetribune.com/sports/local/special-se-minnesota-deer-hunt-to-expand-after-sixth-cwd/article_a99fda2a-244d-5def-b71a-0b7d0dffad05.html     https://sportingjournalradio.com/2017/01/17/cwd-in-mn-what-does-the-latest-positive-chronic-wasting-disease-test-results-mean/   Audio interview with Cornicelli
  • Our Sponsors