• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

coil spring choice

Anyone have any favorites. So far in my experience my duke #1 1/2's have worked well and only set for raccoon. For fox and coyote I really like my MB450's. I had a lot of miss fires with Bridger #1.65's. I have 3 BMI # 1 1/2 and the springs just dont seem as strong. I did have 2 pull outs on them. But the trap was close to brush, so leverage could have been a factor. I do not have any other types yet.

I do not own any 450's. I have heard fantastic things about them though. My prefered trap for fox are sleepy creek 1.75's offset. It's a great trap. I LOVE the MB 650's, adn 750's. I also LOVE bridger #3's, Sleepy Creek #4's (But i file the sides of teh pan down so they don't get caught under the levers), Heck I even use Duke #4's on occasion. IF it is in a high traffic area.

What did you have pull out of a 1 1/2, and what are you setting your pan tension at? and for what critters?

I have found that pan tension is the biggest problem that leads to toe catches which results in pullouts.

Bridger #3's for coyotes, with a few mongomery #3's. Monti #2's for dryland fox with some 1.75's, they are duke i believe. Mostly Duke 1.5's for water. Love my MB750's for beaver, also got on MB550 and one 650. Didn't set the 550, but the 650 was nice, but it didn't connect. Had too much rain for a good dryland line, plus coons were supposed to be where it was at...

Pan tension on the BMI 1 1/2 was more tension than the Bridger 1.65 and duke 1 1/2, do not have a way to measure and not enough experience for a guess. They were pocket sets for coons with trap exposed. Fisherman222, is the MB650 a good trap for multi species. I just ordered some more MB450's and MB550's. I have a high traffic area that I am thinking of using some dukes at. What is a good size for coyote, fox, and coon. Would #2 work? Nothing this morning, checked an area where I pulled out from and the coyotes worked the old holes. Darn it, should have left them.

goosebilly you can change the pan tension on a trap by tightening the screw that holds the pan on the trap. If you don't have a pan tension tester, you can make one. Take a small container and fill it with sand, 2 lbs, 3 lbs whatever you want your tension at. I have one filled at 2lbs-4lbs every half a pound. Sthat way i can get a pretty good idea of the tension on my traps.

I was reminded why the other day when i had an ermine in a cat set because i forgot to check the pan tension after a catch.

I like the mb450's as a multi species trap. they are a little on the small side for yotes but I have gotten a few in them and they are solid. I am in central mn and I think I could catch anything in these things. I ran dukes both 1.5's and 1.75's but I would have problems with them after awhile. Every now and then I would have a bent part (mostly the chain and swivel which you could change out easily) but I bought some mb450's last year and I love em. Plus MN trapping supply puts a decent amount of money towards the MN trappping Assoc. So I always like putting money his way.

On the Dukes that I have, I have already changed the swivels and chain. That was one of the first things I learned. I also like MTP, got to meet that crew at the NTA convention. I did just place an order with F&T trading post. MTP had too large of spools of 9 guage wire for snare supports. I was running out of coat hangers. So I ordered a 3 1/2 1b. er. Remember I'm learning so I can't get to crazy at first with quantities. I will try to figure out how to get some pics of coyotes up that I got in the MB450's.