• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Carp Pictures From This Year

Jeff88

Hello everyone. I thought I would post some pictures of Carp from this year.

Both of these were around 10 pounds

IMG_2367-1.jpg

IMG_2370.jpg

Double

IMG_2390.jpg

This is one of the bigger carp I caught this year, a little over 20 pounds.

IMG_2410.jpg

It was a great year for carp fishing. Caught about 5-6 carp weighing around 20 pounds. Average fish weighing 10 pounds.

Any comments and/or questions are welcome.

Those are some nice chunky looking carp..Bet they fought hard!

Judging from your net and unhooking mat you've taken a more serious approach to carp fishing. If you don't mind me asking what techniques worked the best for you this summer? on the fly? boillies? sweet corn? boiled feed corn? live bait? etc...

Start looking in shallow water in the spring - early spring there are often schools of carp roaming the shore.

Here's a shot of my son with one from this spring caught on a worm, #6 octopus hook and small split shot - very simple rig

560198812308_0_ALB.jpg

How do you go about targeting river carp as opposed to lake/backwater carp?

I know a spot on a river that contains a hole with fallen trees thats just downstream from a small feeder creek, In which I have seen carp numorous times, but have failed at getting them to bite using both nightcrawlers and angleworms...a few times plunking it right down in front of their faces. The water was high at the time so maybe that had something to do with it, it would be interesting to try to chum the area a little just to see if that would get them in the mood.

How do you go about targeting river carp as opposed to lake/backwater carp?

It really depends on the time of the year, body of water, etc.

In Spring you can find them really shallow, usually on flats. During the Summer they move to deeper water around drop offs. Since Carp love eating small berries, try finding areas that have trees hanging over the water.

Carp are very skittish. If sight fishing use light weight sinkers or no weight at all if possible. Once frightened they will leave the area for a while.

Trying different areas and techniques is the best way to figure out what works best for you.

Good luck.