• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Stacking Wood On the Ice

eyehunter

I have a question and hopefully someone can tell me if this is allowed or not.

Last year with the price of gas being what it was, I put a wood stove in my permanent house. Is it legal for me to stack wood outside on the ice up against the house and leave it there for the next time that I come out? Just trying to eliminate having to drag wood out with me everytime I go out. I know that it's illeagal to leave anything such as trash and such on the ice, just wondering about firewood. I know there's a chance that someone could take it, but it's just wood from a cottonwood tree that I cut down in my yard this summer, so it's not like it's expensive hardwood firewood or anything.

Thanks in advance for the help.

I think its fine if its behind your house so snowmobiles etc. dont hit any of it. Also make sure it doesnt freeze in. Problem would be people seeling it and using it for fires on the ice.

I would just bring enough out for a few days and keep it in the house or just outside the door.

It will be hard to get a definitive answer because of the variables. I would suggest you put it in some kind of a container like a plastic tote or box. That way you won't be leaving any bark or dirt on the ice that you would have to clean up later. Also, if you use a tote you could put the wood in the house when you leave and it might actually be there when you get back.

I took the advice of tv4fish and e-mailed the DNR through their web site and already got a reply back. Boy those guys are fast and efficient, that or they just don't have anything else to do but read e-mail grin Just kidding, I really appreciated the quick response from them and told them so.

Anyway, he said that it is ok as long as you clean it up when you move the house. His only concern was someone stealing it like already mentioned. The wood I have is cut and split and doesn't have any bark on it, they were small cottonwood trees that have been dead for a couple of years now.

So that's the long and short of it. Thanks to those who responded, I never thought of just sending the DNR an e-mail and asking them directly.

I used a wood stove in a permanent house for a bunch of years and got a pretty good system down. I hauled the wood out in cardboard boxes and stored the spare wood in the house when not in use. When I went to fish, I set the boxes outside beside the door. otherwise if it were stored outside, it would be too tempting for the local rowdies to use it for a bonfire.

Also, cottonwood by itself, isn't the best for heating. It burns too quickly and you end up feeding the stove more than fishing. You might use it in a mix with Ash, Maple, or another hardwood. I cut up bunches of old pallets for firewood. Got them at work for nuthin.

Also, depending on how much you fish, you might end up with Wet wood if you leave it outside, I would find sometype of crate to store it in, that way like already mentioned you could move it in and out as you needed, and store inside so no-one would be tempted to take a piece and bang on your house/break your windows ect.

Shawn