Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
eyehunter

Stacking Wood On the Ice

I have a question and hopefully someone can tell me if this is allowed or not.

Last year with the price of gas being what it was, I put a wood stove in my permanent house. Is it legal for me to stack wood outside on the ice up against the house and leave it there for the next time that I come out? Just trying to eliminate having to drag wood out with me everytime I go out. I know that it's illeagal to leave anything such as trash and such on the ice, just wondering about firewood. I know there's a chance that someone could take it, but it's just wood from a cottonwood tree that I cut down in my yard this summer, so it's not like it's expensive hardwood firewood or anything.

Thanks in advance for the help.

I think its fine if its behind your house so snowmobiles etc. dont hit any of it. Also make sure it doesnt freeze in. Problem would be people seeling it and using it for fires on the ice.

I would just bring enough out for a few days and keep it in the house or just outside the door.

It will be hard to get a definitive answer because of the variables. I would suggest you put it in some kind of a container like a plastic tote or box. That way you won't be leaving any bark or dirt on the ice that you would have to clean up later. Also, if you use a tote you could put the wood in the house when you leave and it might actually be there when you get back.

I took the advice of tv4fish and e-mailed the DNR through their web site and already got a reply back. Boy those guys are fast and efficient, that or they just don't have anything else to do but read e-mail grin Just kidding, I really appreciated the quick response from them and told them so.

Anyway, he said that it is ok as long as you clean it up when you move the house. His only concern was someone stealing it like already mentioned. The wood I have is cut and split and doesn't have any bark on it, they were small cottonwood trees that have been dead for a couple of years now.

So that's the long and short of it. Thanks to those who responded, I never thought of just sending the DNR an e-mail and asking them directly.

I used a wood stove in a permanent house for a bunch of years and got a pretty good system down. I hauled the wood out in cardboard boxes and stored the spare wood in the house when not in use. When I went to fish, I set the boxes outside beside the door. otherwise if it were stored outside, it would be too tempting for the local rowdies to use it for a bonfire.

Also, cottonwood by itself, isn't the best for heating. It burns too quickly and you end up feeding the stove more than fishing. You might use it in a mix with Ash, Maple, or another hardwood. I cut up bunches of old pallets for firewood. Got them at work for nuthin.

Also, depending on how much you fish, you might end up with Wet wood if you leave it outside, I would find sometype of crate to store it in, that way like already mentioned you could move it in and out as you needed, and store inside so no-one would be tempted to take a piece and bang on your house/break your windows ect.

Shawn