• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Nils Hand Auger Recommendations

Rick

Question

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

Can anyone tell us about these augers? I hear they're pretty good.

How do they compare to other popular hand augers?

I just bought a 6" nils master auger. It's blades look like the lazer's (curved and all). The nils master doesn't have replacable blades, though. The whole assembly at the bottom of the auger comes off. The handle is different also. The bottom grip doesn't stick out as far as the lazer's. The top grip isn't centered with the auger's shaft like the lazer, it sticks out a few inches. I'm not sure why they designed it that way.

I tried using mine at home with the blade guard on and I can't keep it from wobbling while I use it. I can't seem to turn both handles a the same speed. I thought it may be designed to wobble in the hole with the offset handles and undersized auger (the blade's six inches, but the auger part's about four). Does anybody know how it's supposed to drill or how it compares to a lazer?

I recieved a message from the Manufacture concerning a bulk order. He wants me to contact him,..how many people would be interested and what size?

Rick, I will forward you the e-mail I recieved from him, and phone number. He is very interested in selling augers maybe an opportunity to sell them through the site.

These augers are produced by a company called Konsaku Oy in Heinola Finland. These blades are state of the art and do not need replacement blades if you take care of your auger. These augers you need to use both hands because of handle design, alittle aukward at first, but as DUFFMAN stated after 3 or 4 holes you be a pro. I am currently working out getting a distributorship here in the cities, but has been a slow process. If you are hard on your equipment these things might not be right for you, but are the best hand auger on the market and a new power head can be attached to the hand auger attachment this year. The latest version of the North American Fishing Club magazine has info and a picture of the auger and powerhead in the whats new section...check it out.

Fat Rap Guy.....
The two handed method takes a little getting used to. Wait till first ice and by the fourth hole you will probably have the hang of it. Don't put any pressure on it, let the blades pull you through.

Tony On Ice has been working with these Augers for several years now ~ I wish he would link with ICE LEADERS for sales / he brought these to our attention 4 years ago with a very funny story that goes with it. If it were not for Tony, I don't think we would know about this Augers performance as we do now.

Nils has a new gas auger. Looks a little different but is supposed to work. You can also pop off the power head and put the hand crank back on it if you want. The blades are really really sharp. They are supposed to last longer than any other blade. ICE ICE

------------------
Bruce Mosher,www.icebusterbobbers.com

BRUCE
The power head you're speaking of isn't actually new but a re emergance of the same Tanaka powerhead (with new updates obviously) that was used on the augers since the early 1980's when Rapala built them in Jaaporaat Finland.
Nils Master bought the whole operation and reintroduced the powerhead last year. These augers were marketed by Tanaka USA from the mid 1980's until 1994 and they used their own engines to power the augers.
It was and still is the best cutting auger on the planet whether you have the hand operated or the power models.
Tanaka still has a warranty that blows the competition away but I've never seen one of their engines go bad in all the years I've been dealing with them.

The Nickle chromium cutting heads are as sharp as they can get and will hold an edge for a long time as long as you take care of them.
Replacing the gaurd after cutting holes is essential to a long life for the head as is with most augers but the Nils master augers are built to last and with a little care and understanding of how they work, it's not uncommon to get ten years out of a cutting head..or more.
The worse scenario is when you let someone borrow your Nils Master auger and they're not familiar with the two handed operation of these units and tries to muscle the auger into the ice like is sometimes neccessary with other brands.
This will possibly change the angle of the cutting heads razr share edges and cause it to spin on the ice. Corrections of this problem can be made by an gentle hand and a piece of ceramic sharpenng stone on the top (beveled) edge of the blade.
Just like a good mechanic, it's best to NOT loan your tools of the trade to anyone. It's best to cut the holes for them.
Once you see a Nils Master auger up close, you'll see why they're in a league of their own. The welds, the paint and the workmanship are incredible on these augers.
You won't see paint chipping off of them after the first hole or the 10th hole as long as you don't beat on them with your scoop.
There's actually no need for that type of ice removal because these augers have a vary slippery paint applied to them and if they ice up, you just submerge the screw of the auger for about 30 seconds and when you pull it from the hole, most times the ice just spins right off and if you give the auger a good coat of automotive wax before the season, it'll really be ice free.
It won't be long before the mint green Nils Master augers augers take over.

Where can I see one of these? It sounds just like what I'm lookin for.
Did fleet farm have these last year?
Web site?
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
Clam sleeper,Fishtrapp,5x8 hardside, 660 Grizz

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

I talked to Nils. As soon as we get the necessary information....

They should be available to purchase here soon and we'll have pics as well as all the pertinent information on them.

We will definitely offer a good deal as an introductory offer when all the details are worked out with Nils.

ESOXLUCIOUS
I've actually gone 13 years with the original cutting head on the first 4 1/2 inch auger that I took out of the box back in the winter of 86-87. Best part is that I could have continued with the head the way it was but you get so spoiled once you use these augers that it just didn't feel right.
Even after all those years, it still cut beter than the competition.
Some may think that I only fish on weekends and that's why the cutting heads lasted so long but i fish almost every day in the winter and don't baby my equitment although I take special care not to abuse the auger.
One hole is all it takes to be convinced. Reopening old holes no matter how old they are, is a breeze with the Nils master augers.
No jamming up or sore wrists and fingers from the auger catching on the ice and suddenly stopping whle you're still moving.
Add the powerhead and these augers are on top if the heap in that category too.
Much lighter and quieter than the competiton and much more compact.
Here in Central New York, they're a common site on the ice and there's a lot of used blue and black augers on the market.
Won't be long before the mid west follows suit.