Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
Steve Foss

The birds (images added)

Hey all: More of today's work near Ely. This is a companion thread to "The beasts" over in the photo sharing board.

All grab shots (no setups) with Canon 30D and Canon 500 f4L IS, handheld and monopod.

Red crossbills

3116513107_18ab412182_o.jpg

Red-breasted nuthatches

3116513103_536036fa54_o.jpg

3116513101_e162cfba51_o.jpg

3116513099_f8a1d22507_o.jpg

Pine grosbeak

3116513095_06dc0dcb08_o.jpg

Common redpolls

3117345392_9aeb54be22_o.jpg

3117345150_8648948615_o.jpg

3116518035_af81ca93d2_o.jpg

3116517653_e3399101ed_o.jpg

Black-capped chickadee

3117405518_9a042203b8_o.jpg

Hey you guys, the 500 is no sharper than my 400. I'll just keep telling myself that . . . as though the fact that it's true means anything. Who would believe an $1,100 lens is as good as a $5,800 lens, after all?

There's only one picture in the whole sequence I really think a lot of. Guesses? smilesmile

Thanks, all.

I'll be adding images to this thread later. I got within point-blank range of feeding pine grosbeaks, red crossbills and white-winged crossbills, and got nice shots of gray jays, siskins and a chickadee in flight (the chickadee looked good on the camera LCD, but we'll see). Ravens in flight, too, and a pileated woodpecker. smile

You gotta love clear -24 mornings. When the sun hits the trees after sunrise, birds go from picking up grit on the roads and up into the trees to sun themselves, and most of the winter birds up here don't mind folks getting close enough for pictures.

Now it's back out to the woods for the afternoon to see what else might happen.

Sorry, didn't mean to tease. wink

Here's the latest installment. All, like yesterday's, are grab shots, in that there are no setups here but simply working to happen upon birds in their natural habitat.

Not that setups are bad, not at all (I do a lot of setups myself). Just making a distinction.

Hope you enjoy viewing them as much as I enjoyed freezing my cajones off getting them. Temps ranged from -24 this morning to a bit above zero this afternoon.

All with the Canon 30D and Canon 500 f4L IS, handheld.

Black-capped chickadee in flight

3119507408_57457c6ba3_o.jpg

Gray jay chillin for sure!

3118679711_a7f1ed924f_o.jpg

Male hairy woodpecker roofin' it

3119507698_b7f2369b01_o.jpg

Pine grosbeak hunkered down

3119507806_aa3e5189e0_o.jpg

Ravens plying the air currents

3118680113_09b19e3872_o.jpg

Pine siskin

3118680207_a272aa1fc8_o.jpg

And a bunch of white-winged crossbills

3118680305_28f7467c76_o.jpg

3118680571_9d667ae2de_o.jpg

3119508552_f9c9770b7d_o.jpg

That chickadee in flight is fantastic. I haven’t seen a bif shot like that on a chickadee before. Great work.

Dotch, no chickadees back at the ranch this winter? frown

As for the second installment of images, leaving out the chickadee in flight, there's only one image among all the rest that moved me, and it weren't the siskin. smilesmile

Nope. That upside down female white-winged crossbill. In my mind, I'd saved the best for last. Few birds are as effective contortionists as crossbills, and I've been working hard for five years to get decent images. They move so bloody fast that it's difficult to capture a good pose, even though they might strike 4,207 excellent poses in the space of one minute.

Just for the record, I did not rotate the image of that crossbill 90 degrees to make it look goofy. It was the actual capture. smile

Dotch, no chickadees back at the ranch this winter? frown

Zero, zip, nada. And yet we've had lots of siskins which we've rarely seen and even one of the white-winged crossbills earlier in the season. Was like "Where's Waldo" trying to keep up with him mixed in with the house finches. If there was a female in there I couldn't find her. 6 - 8 regular 'dees last winter but none so far. Go figure.