• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Disposal of One Pound Propane Tanks

wayne123

People (including myself) were commenting on how to dispose of one pound propane tanks on the post about size of propane tanks. I wanted to start a seperate thread on this subject because I have a bunch I want to get rid of.

I did find the following on the Hennepin County HSOforum:

Gas Cylinders (1-pound size)

Accepted At These Hennepin County Facilities. Proof of residency required (MN drivers license or current utility bill).

Bloomington Drop Off Facility

No Fee

Small one pound cylinders only (look for DOT-39 on the label)

DO NOT THROW IN THE TRASH!

We accept small 1-pound butane and propane non-refillable cylinders only.

Because gas cylinders and tanks contain a compressed gas, if they are thrown in the trash they can explode and cause injury to solid waste workers. When they seem to be empty, there is still a small amount of explosive gas left in the cylinder, even when it no longer shows a flame.

On the other thread people were commenting that you could depressurize the cylinder and throw them in the trash. Is this recommended by the manufacturer?

This is some great info, and a good reminder. However, with the newer style 1 lbers out now, does the same hold true? I believe that the new kind come with a cap that's screwed on after the cylinder's spent that releases the rest of the gas. With all of the gas expelled from the tank, it can be safely thrown into the trash, or recycled. Hopefully the latter.

I put a bullet hole in them and toss them in the trash, or send them to the recyclers. That may not be the politicaly correct way to do it, but is is a loophole in the system.

Might not work for the metro guys, but for us rural type it combines two things we love, guns and cheating the man.

If you are a resident of Dakota County drop them off at the Recycling Zone. I work there.. Many counties also have a program similar to what we run. The recycling zone takes all sorts of Haz waste that you accumulate around home. This is for residential homes and not businesses.

We are mostly a drop off site, we store them and a company comes and picks them up I'm not sure what they do with them.

But we take mostly anything you can imagine. We deal mostly with recycling like cans,glass,paper etc. Paint and drain oil are the most frequently dropped off.

Here is the HSOforum with a list of items accepted.

Dakota County Recycling Zone

Isn't there a way they can be refilled? Seems like such a waste.

There is a way to refill them but not sure how to do it or how safe it is and I agree, it is a big waste. Too bad the manufacturer wouldn't take them back and refill them, maybe charge a small deposit or something.

Bout 3 years ago I moved and when cleaning out the garage I found a [PoorWordUsage] load of empty 1 pounders. I called the recycling place in S. St. Paul. They said if they were somehow unsealed they would take them. So I cut them all in half with a band saw and turned them in along with everything else I had for recycling.

I put a bullet hole in them and toss them in the trash, or send them to the recyclers. That may not be the politicaly correct way to do it, but is is a loophole in the system.

Might not work for the metro guys, but for us rural type it combines two things we love, guns and cheating the man.

I FINALLY HAVE MY NEW QUOTE -- THX NEIGHBOR GUY

I bring mine home. After Im postive they are empty, I drill a hole in em on the side, and em set out for the trash man. No problem as long as they(trash men) can see they have a hole in em.They take em.

I live in St Paul.

Just Me

found three of the 1 lbers on the lake today all empty of course. seams some guys think that this is the correct waytoi get rid of the tanks. one day I find out whos doing this and tell them to read the lable despose of properly and if that dont work Neighbor guys quote will come out of my mouth.

I have been using the refill adapter that I bought at Fleet Farm and have had very good luck. You are not able to get them all the way full but when you have 8 of em that is not a problem. Just make sure that you cool the tanks first, you are able to get more in than if they are at room temp.