Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dozer

Sealing Douglas Fir for outdoor use?

5 posts in this topic

I have a lead on some cheap douglas fir 2x6s that I was thinking of using to replace the deck on my trailer. My trailer sits outside all year. How long would it last if I where to seal it with something like Thompsons water seal? Any other reconmedations of what I should seal it with?

DougFir is pretty strong and will last longer than other species,But I'd for myself use treated the doug will not hold exterior finish very well on a deck outside exposed.

I think I would try turpentine and paraffin/wax.

Thats what I use on bird box's. Seems to hold up pretty good.

It's a little tricky to mix though. Make sure you do it out side. Hot turpentine

in the house can be problematic (grin)

Seen a lot of old homes where they used fir beadboard on the porches with a slit slope. They all had roofs over them though.

I guess I's ask how cheap it is. Then consider that price compared to treated.

I bought it for $0.24 a foot for 2x6s. They a dozen pallets of it and I got to pick an choose the best looking ones of the bunch. $47 for enough to put a deck on a 14' trailer so I didnt think that was so bad!

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• We would add 1/8 of a teaspoon of Alum to make the pickles stay crisper.
    • We actually put a hitch onto ice castle and pulled 2  wheelers. It worked pretty well. 
    •   If nothing else bring the old ones in closer to ice time so they don't rust up again and have one of the bait store guys send them in to their blade sharpener exchange guys.
    •   How do you keep them crispy? I bought a jar of homemade Hot ones at a farmers market which were good and hot, but limpy?
    • Rain soaked major portions of the state for yet another week, with much concentrated in the southwestern region. This has kept area lakes and rivers high and flowing water moving fast. Several properties in the southwest are still dealing with storm damage. Badger State Trail has some closed sections and areas with standing water. The Sugar River State Trail is usable but needs resurfacing at various locations. Mountain bike trails remain closed at Blue Mound and horse trails and the horse camp at Wildcat Mountain remain closed. All roads have reopened at Wyalusing and Nelson Dewey state parks, but some trails in both parks remain closed.Fishing pressure waxed and waned with the weather this past week. Northern pike, bass and musky continue to be caught on the Flambeau River. Anglers on inland lakes have been reporting success for panfish, bass and walleyes.Anglers were out in force though the weekend on Green Bay many brought out by a walleye tournament. Walleye fishing was relatively consistent, with most boats catching at least a couple fish. The bass bite has slowed along Door County with the best success coming from piers, but perch anglers were having some luck over the past week with most boats harvesting more than 10 fish for half a day's trip. Trout and salmon fishing was beginning to pick up off Marinette on the west shore of the bay but trout and salmon off the Door County side were struggling to find fish. .
    •   That is what I'm wondering.......I found some 8in "jiffy" blades on the bay of e. However it doesn't say anything about them being jet blades and couldn't tell on the pictures if it looked like a slight curve in them..........they were in the package so a decent side view was about impossible. Somebody has to have had one...
    • The curved blades may very well be the "Jet" part that made it different from their other hand augers?
    • It's always nice to have fresh homemade pickles in the winter. Jalapeno peppers will be next.
    •     Well just in some of the data and articles I read, which might be fake news I don't really know. It looked like the amount/lbs of walleye were in the lake just that there are a lot of large ones and not many small ones.......The data also showed that the bait fish were really dropping in amounts/numbers.....   Interesting to see that a report from someone like yourself is just like what I had heard from the guy I met at upper red who was from the area. Thought maybe he was pulling my string or something when he told me the fishing was great, then seen the DNR shut the lake down.
    •   Thats the thing, I can't find really any good pictures of one. I was given this auger a few days ago buy a guy who didn't use or want it.  He only used it once when he forgot his power auger. There is a string with a price tag on it for $89. It was sitting in his machine shed in a corner collecting dust.   I cleaned up the auger and touched it up. There was a slight ding in the auger flighting up a turn or two from the bottom. That I fixed. However,  the mounting head for the blades didn't have any of the original powder paint damaged, none had flaked off, and there was no rust spots. The blades where rusted up but not damaged. I assume if they were bent the powder paint would have expanded & flaked off. The two blade angles seem to look like they are how they should be. So I'm really kinda leaning that the blade mounts might not be bent with the way it looks.    If I look at the shaver blades from the top or bottom they look like a normal shaver blade. However, when looked at from the side they seem to have a very slight curve that matches the blade mount. Did jiffy have a design like this different from the others? So I'm confused.......what would be the odds of both the blade mount sides being bent to what looks like exact angles.......if they were bent what is the odds of both blades seeming to conform to the bends without cracking or breaking........I measured from one outside blade edge to the other and got 8in......but I know 8in augers can go from a range of 7.5in-8.5in depending on brand and other things......If the blade mounts were bent I would think some powder paint would have flaked off.......I'll do the ice bucket trick.....was hoping someone had one or could chime in. It looks a little like a design between a flat shaver and a curved blade if it's not bent......I do really like the design if that is what it is meant to be. I also love the blade cover being a rubber that is tight and doesn't fall off. I just really don't know if they are bent or not bent. Confusing.....Also wondering if flat shaver blades would work on it or if I would need to find a set of Jiffy blades that had a slight curve to them.....
  • Our Sponsors