• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice Fishing Rod for Pike/Walleye

Doop

Look at Northland Fishing Tackles "trick stick" ice rods. I've got the 34" baitcaster style and it's perfect for gators and lakers. It's a bit heavy for light biting walleyes, but it would work. I put one of my summer Abu-Garcia baitcasters on it and spool it up w/ 10 lb test. I jig with this rod and also use it as a tip up by putting it in a solid rod holder, put your bait (smelt & quick strike rig) where you want it, and leave the reel engaged. Then I clip a paper clip w/ some blue surveyors tape on it on the mainline so it slides freely. I then clip the paper clip onto the line between the top 2 guides on the rod. When a fish grabs it, the paperclip will fall down the main line and it's time to get over there and see what's on the other end. This would probably work on a spin cast reel if you set the drag real light and then cranked it down when you get a fish.

Brian