• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tavaris Jackson... NFC Player of the Week!

PierBridge

Nice fence sitting post laugh

grinI don't like the taste of crow but if I must enter the fray I am all for TJack keeping the job. Ferotte may be the safer and potentially steadier option but if this team is going to go anywhere beyond the first round they will need TJack's to reach that potential we have been waiting for. TJack may implode and cost us the playoffs but I believe it is his athletic ability and potential that gives us a chance to suprise in the playoffs.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm all for TJack keeping the starting job also. I was never for him losing it because otherwise how will we ever find out if he IS any good?

I just say that you have to look at last week for what it was. It was a mediocre at best QB having his best game ever on a week when there were not any REALLY awesome performances. Any other week there would have been someone with numbers to go along with 3 or 4 touchdowns.

4 touchdowns is great, don't get me wrong, but 11 for 17, 163 yards is not all that impressive. If it weren't for the running game getting the team into position to score he would not have had 4 touchdowns.

If Adrian Peterson would have caught 2 of those touchdowns he would have been offensive player of the week.

That being said, I hope TJack plays well next week and proves me wrong.

My take on the whole quarterback thing is this: No matter what we need to upgrade the quarterback position in the offseason. Through the draft or through free agency. I really don't like any of our three quarterbacks.

Gus-old and prone to turnovers and injuries.

Tjack-low ceiling. Can he get much better. I have my doubts.

Booty-A younger version of what Brad Johnson is right now.

As far as the rest of this year goes we might as well stick with Tjack and get him some more experience. Next year will be another open competition for the quarterback job.

Who knows maybe Tjack/Vikes will pull of a Dilfer/Baltimore run to a superbowl victory.

seems like it's one of those deals that is typical of pro sports teams here where you have to be happy with mediocre. Where else do you have a football team where you have to be happy with a qb who's job is mainly to not lose the game for you, and who's major off season signings in baseball and basketball are nick punto and mike miller?

Anyone got any complaints about the QB the last 6 quarters? By the way the vikings time is now, this year and maybe 2 more. A QB drafted next year does nothing to help that. Who you going to bring in? Matt Cassell? You really want to pay him like a top tier QB?

LOL....overblown. Please point out one person who has annointed him savior of the team. Please find one person who has even said he is the answer at QB. Isnt it just possible that people are just happy to see a great performance by a MN QB? You can look at pure numbers and see 11 completions for 160 odd yards and say what is so spectacular but how bout finishing off 4 for TD's off his arm rather than settling for FG's. How bout putting a game away instead of letting a good team hang around. Why is it so wrong to you for someone to give the guy an ounce of credit?

I said he played well.

You are the one stroking him and ripping everyone who doesn't share your OPINION.

Ever heard of Flacco or Matt Ryan. It's not like a rookie can't come in and start and play really well. It doesn't always happen but there are some very talented quarterbacks that may come out in this draft.

Did I stutter. Yeah, I said overblown.

So what are you saying. Is he or isn't he the quarterback of the future.

The Vikings are in a position where we could be good for an extended period. There is no reason the window is closing in the next two or three years. Good drafts and free agent signings can keep it going much longer.

FOR THE LAST TIME! I SAID HE PLAYED WELL.

I'LL GO ONE STEP FURTHER. HE'S A BETTER OPTION THAN GUS. IF YOUR PANTIES ARE STILL IN A BUNCH YOU SHOULD SEE A GYNECOLOGIST.

Good one, i used that line in 6th grade i believe. I'll show you more 2nd year QB's that struggle and become successful than you can show me first year rookies who flourish. Again, who is annointing him a savior? Thats what overblown is. Me saying he played a great game is not overblown. That is fact and i don't recall saying anything other than that. And your absolutely delirious if you think the vikings should draft a QB in this upcoming draft and rely on that guy for the next season. A guy drafted next year in all likelyhood will be no good for the team for a couple years and what good does that do for a team that is ready to win now. Comparing Atlanta and Baltimores situation to the vikings of this year LOL? They were teams in rebuilding mode and hoped these guys would be ready to go in 3 years. They didnt draft these guys for this year, its all worked out for them but you can't count on that and anyone who thinks you can doesnt follow football to close. If you want to do in the direction of trying to trade for a McNabb i could go with that for next year but not hoping a rookie will be the answer.

Are you the type of fan that is going to sit there tomorrow and hope more for Jackson to lay an egg more than you hope the vikings will win?

i think the vikings are built to win now but are also building to be a great team for many years with our younger studs...we have a few old guys that need the win right now but we got a nice solid core of younger players also....fat pat and winfield are gonna be the toughest to replace.

our biggest question mark is the qb forsure...james is right though that 99% of the time a rookie is gonna need a couple/few years to understand the game and play at a high level.

sometimes you do get lucky like the 2 qbs mentioned and even rodgers played solid imo..GB didnt look so hot this season but rodgers game play was nice for his first season as starter...but even he had a few years to watch and learn.

if gus or tjack isn't gonna be our starter we need to look into free agency...and its gonna cost us so as fans we should hope tjack is the answer even if you don't like him...i'm on the fence with the guy..if he keeps playin well i'll learn to like him lol.

i need to see him read a defense, scan the field, check multiple options and if they aren't there hit the checkdown, keep composure under pressure and comand the team downfield when we need it...stuff like that...i haven't seen it yet...even if he had a nice game or two.

we'll have to wait and see where we stand after these next two games and a playoff appearence if we make it.

the next few games will determine our coaching and qb situation imo.

Happy with mediocre? I don't think the vikings signed Berrian and traded for Allen with the intent of being mediocre.

I was speaking of the qb situation. would you describe tjack's career as anything better than mediocre and are you satisfied with his results over the past couple seasons? maybe he's starting to turn the page but I've got to see something more than 6 quarters against less than stellar defenses before I'm going to call him anything better than that.

If T-junk is anointed the savior after these 6 quarters, why did't he make the pro-bowl. I'm mean, he's the best ever now right? One game with 4 TD's and less then 200 yds and he's the bomb!! That shoulda been enough for a free ride to the bowl?

Well lets put it this way. Going back to last year and the first 2 games this year when Jackson was only given a chance to "not lose games" rather than given a chance to go win them, what good will it do to bring in any QB if thats the situation they will be given? Every QB under Childress has been sent out there to "not lose games". The last 6 quarters things seem to have changed a bit at least. But what happens today if the game is 17-14 in the 4th quarter and Childress goes back to only letting Jackson throw on 3rd and 8. How do you blame a QB for not succeeding in that situation? A large part of the problem has been the coaches mindset and philosophy. Some people think its because Jackson can't read a defense. My problem with that is he did the same thing with Brad Johnson who is an expierienced vet in whom was suppose to be very strong at reading a defense. Childress won't even let Frerotte call an audible. Thats handcuffing a QB and not giving him a chance. My thoughts are if you've groomed a QB and you have entrusted him as the QB of the future in which Childress did, you give him a chance to go succeed and make plays. You don't annoint someone the future of the franchise and then slap the handcuffs on him. Everyone says well he can't even throw the ball against 8 man fronts. Well ya see, LOL, the problem was CHILDRESS NEVER TRIED THROWING AGAINST 8 MAN FRONTS, HE WAITED UNTIL IT WAS 3RD AND 8 WHEN THE DEFENSE WAS PLAYING PASS. He kept trying to impose his will with the running game and wouldnt throw until it was an obvious passing down. Now the last 2 games he has seemed to cut the reigns a bit and it has paided off. Now lets see what happens today. If he is only allowed to pass on obvious passing downs he will not succeed. Why? Because no QB succeeds when they are only allowed to pass on obvious passing downs. I think Childress is growing as a head coach and I think he has come along in his mindset. He seems to be doing a better job of changing things up and creating favorable matchups. Things don't seem to be as predictable. We will see if that continues or not. I think it has something to do with Jacksons success the last 6 quarters and for Jackson to continue to succeed he has to be put in situations to succeed just as any NFL QB does. I said before this sesason that Childress growing as a head coach was as crucial to success this season as anything for the vikings this year and to this point i think he is.

I cant argue he has been playing good but holy mackerel now there handing out gold stars to the players to placate the fans of a struggling franchise. So there saying no one else in the league played well, setting the bar pretty low I would say.

Forever optimist?? LOL. Come on, i just choose to look at things a little beyond face value. Have you ever watched a game and taken a look at the situations he has been asked to throw the ball in on a consistent basis? Its not exactly favorable to any QB. Take a look at the situation a little deeper and you can see there is more to the situation that just "Jackson sucks". Do you really even read my posts? Where have i ever said Jackson is the answer??? Me saying there might be more to the situation than just Jackson sucks means im the eteranal optimist? And yeah i go to a game or 2 every year. I was at the Indy game this year when myself and the fans around me were able to predict the play call 4 out of 5 plays based on the formation we saw. Wow that was really putting the QB in a good position to succeed. He really stood a good chance of making some plays i tell ya. Imagine what a defensive coordinator is seeing. I'm telling you right now in this game today if Jackson is only allowed to throw that ball around on 3rd downs like last season and early this season he will look bad, any QB would. If the game is called more loosely like the last 6 quarters he will be just fine.

holy mackerel now there handing out gold stars to the players to placate the fans of a struggling franchise. So there saying no one else in the league played well, setting the bar pretty low I would say.

yup.gif

our whole plan of attack going into the season was to have a qb that doesn't lose games though...from coaches, to players, to the media, to the fans all said the same thing...we just need a qb that can manage the game and not make to many mistakes...just let our defense and running game win us games.

no one should really be surprised thats how our games are called...the thing is tjack couldn't do that at the time...gus came in doin the same play calling but we won games...the difference at the time is we were moving the chains on 3rd down and gus wasn't turning the ball over...lately he has been turning it over.

i'm guessing tjack will have opportunities today to make some big plays...i dont think we'll go back to calling plays like we were doing the first few weeks....as the season has been goin we been makin more calls and doin better plays.

one thing for tjack is he hasn't got to play with our offense being as good as it is right now and how the defense has had our back when we do turn it over...even gus the bus has had some awful turnovers down in our own territory and the defense either got the ball back or held them to 3.

today is the day we find out if we are the same ol vikings that choke when we need to step up or if we've turned the page and now finish business...plain and simple.

we were in this same exact situation last year and choked hard.

james...u gotta break your paragraphs up man...that 75 sentence paragraph was painful lol.

Well I dont recall Jackson making mistakes vs Indy. I recall the defense playing unreal and AP running for 170 yards. Strictly throwing a QB on the field simply to just not make mistakes doesnt win championships in this day and age. I don't have a problem with a team winning games on defense and a running game but in this day and age you have to get more out of a passing game than just not making mistakes. Your not simply going to win 3 or 4 playoff games in a row by running over teams with AP. At some point the passing game will be needed to contribute. You can't simply handcuff it constantly and expect a trip to the superbowl. As you said I think todays game will speak volumes to where Jackson and Childress both are.