• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Thoughts on the 5 lb and 11 lb tanks vs 1 lb cylinders

McGurk

There are new one lb tanks out now that have an insert you put into the top when empty. I assume this is to relieve pressure so they can be recycled without exploding. They are called greenkey and can be recycled. If you're like me you will have a back up pounder in case the 20 lb goes dry. This is just a better route than standard lb tanks.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah it would be nice if you could find the empty tanks other than at high retail prices, I use a 20lber and it does get heavy but I usually never have to worry about throwing the 1lbers away everytime I go out. I have saved a few 1blers for refilling but just have not bought the adapter to do it.

We just picked up 2 FREE used squatty 11lb tanks from Ace Hardware. We asked what they do with them and they said people drop off unwanted old style tanks and the LP company takes them back free.

With "new to me" tank in hand headed over to the local LP place and had it re-certified and stamped, new valve installed ($27), and filled for a grand total of $38. So the fill was like $10.

It was much better than buying the new 8lb tank from Fleet for $54 and then having it filled! OUCH!!! Why are the small ones so expensive?...O Ya...they're for sportsmen...bendover!

Interesting note: the new valves need 2-1/4" from the center of the tank to the handle to be installed. On one tank the carrying handle was welded too close for the new valve to screw in! Buddy is going to refill it with his 100lber so it was still a great deal!

The guy also showed us the "quick-connect" low pressure fitting on Big Buddies. It's on the left side tank. Flip it out of the way and there it is! Now I just need the quick connect hose with regulater and I'm set grin

Ask around to stores that re-fill tanks and see if they have

any used tanks they want to get rid of...it worked for us!

Ferny

Years ago I started with 20's and moved down to the 11 and eventually to the 5. I now use disposibles exclusively but I am not one to sit for long in one area. I rarely use up a 1 lber. on either my focus 5 or the powerhouse when I turn them on, so anything bigger for me is a waste of space/weight. I refill my tanks and have been happy with this process overall.

I just filled up today at the Lake City AG Partners. The price per lbs fluctuates just like the gas at the station. I'm sure someone posted this earlier, but go where the farmers go. Conveniences comes at a price.

8-17-08

20lbs ($15.00)

11lbs ($7.50)

One way to save some money is wait until Menards has their everything you can fit into brown bag 20% off sale. Luckily the skinny 11's and the hose assemble fit perfectly in the bag.

Well, after hearing the responses this is what I gather:

1) I have been ripped off when buying propane, along with most people are in the Twin Cities metro area. I'll look around.

2) These 5 and 11 lb tanks are around at decent (but not great) deals if you keep your eyes open. Some outfits even give used ones away if you ask.

3) Even as convenient as 1 lb cylinders are, no one likes them.

4) These 1 lb cylinders are filling up a lot of garages as no one knows what to do with them (see other related thread)

With all that being said, I still think I'll stick with the 1 lbers when pulling the sled by hand, and switch to the 20 lb and hose when I have power-assisted pulling. No one can argue that a 20 lb fill is usually the cheapest on a per-pound filling basis, and I already have the 20 lb tanks from grills and they get used on the perm house, too. After all, I like my house on the cool side, and I go through maybe (5) 1 lbers a year, so it's not that big of a deal.

I had thought up until recently that I would want to get a 5 or 11 lb tank to run my Big Buddy heater off of when warming up my Otter Cabin. I have a 20 lb tank and the 5' hose which works great as long as I have an ATV or truck to get to the fishing spot. After looking into prices of the empty 5 and 11 lb tanks, and finding out how much refills are at a local metro filling station, I have concluded that I will use 1 lb tanks. I cannot find a 5 of 11 lb tank for much less than $40.00, and refills are around $12 for 5 lb, $17 for 11 lb, and $18 for 20 lb tanks. I have found 1 lb tanks for roughly $2.50 each.

So by my calculations, I can buy (20) 1 lb tanks for the price of a five lb tank with it's initial fillup ($52.00), and with a 5 lb fillup at $12 (over $2 a lb) It will take a long time to recover the initial buy-in.

With an 11 lb tank, the price is better (11 lb for $17, or about $1.40 per lb) but it would still take a long time to recover. I could buy about (22) 1 lb tanks for the initial 11 lb tank and fill price.

I think that I will pass on the 5 or 11 lb tank unless I can find a cheap tank, and a cheap place to fill up. Anything I am missing?

I have a 11# tank that I use most of the time. I dont like using 1# tanks when I dont have to. Its a waste and like Dietz says our landfills are already over filled. I only use 1#ers when its 1st ice and Im walking out. Once the sled comes out I go to the 11# tank.

I found that when I ran 1 lb tanks on my Big Buddy I had trouble with them freezing up when it was really cold and I tried to set the heater on high. Imagine wanting your heater on high when the temp is really low. I still carry a few 1 pounders for an emergency stash but have resorted to using a 10# ( or 11#) with the hose and filter most of the time. That way I can turn it up as high as I want with no tank freeze up issues.

thanks shackbash I will now start useing my 5lber in the same way.

a guy at a propane company (not going to mention names) said the 1 pounders are a joke and a big waste of cash because the gas thats in them is only about .60 cents and the other $3.50 is for the tank. Im also going to refill a few 1 pounders for my lanterns myself bro inlaw bought the adapter kit at fleet farm and said it works great.

Quote:
Im also going to refill a few 1 pounders for my lanterns myself bro inlaw bought the adapter kit at fleet farm and said it works great

elwood dude,

You will not catch me doing that! It is illegal to transport these refilled 1 lb'er on any MN road, plus ( and please do not turn this into a 1 lb'er refill locked thread), it does not work.

These tanks are made to be refilled (5-100 lb'ers have manual shut off valves). The one pound is not. They will leak and cause issues after one or two refills (IMHO) smile

With the other inexpensive battery powered lighting options out their, I have not bought a 1 lb'er in almost 8-10 years. IMO they are a waste of money.

I am sure in some cases, a 1lb'er is needed, but should not be refilled.

I used to use a 5 lb tank and it needed the new type of valve installed. I took it to the local propane dealer to have this done and they had a used 11 lb tank with the new valve already filled. I like the 11 lb tank better than the 5 lb tank. I don't worry much about the pancake tank tipping over.

FYI...I just had a new 11-pound pancake tank filled....$7.49 @ Little Bighorn in Coon Rapids. wink

Dave, I am wondering if you tank was completely empty or not. I had my brand new 11 pound tank filled yesterday for $10.83. This would have been completely empty.

Quote:
Little Bighorn in Coon Rapids.

Very cool place. I got my garage heater (Renzor 75,000) for them on clearance, brand new in the crate.

If the tank is brand new, some times they have a Purge charge for air. Maybe Dave got out of this charge whistle