• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Thoughts on the 5 lb and 11 lb tanks vs 1 lb cylinders

McGurk

I had thought up until recently that I would want to get a 5 or 11 lb tank to run my Big Buddy heater off of when warming up my Otter Cabin. I have a 20 lb tank and the 5' hose which works great as long as I have an ATV or truck to get to the fishing spot. After looking into prices of the empty 5 and 11 lb tanks, and finding out how much refills are at a local metro filling station, I have concluded that I will use 1 lb tanks. I cannot find a 5 of 11 lb tank for much less than $40.00, and refills are around $12 for 5 lb, $17 for 11 lb, and $18 for 20 lb tanks. I have found 1 lb tanks for roughly $2.50 each.

So by my calculations, I can buy (20) 1 lb tanks for the price of a five lb tank with it's initial fillup ($52.00), and with a 5 lb fillup at $12 (over $2 a lb) It will take a long time to recover the initial buy-in.

With an 11 lb tank, the price is better (11 lb for $17, or about $1.40 per lb) but it would still take a long time to recover. I could buy about (22) 1 lb tanks for the initial 11 lb tank and fill price.

I think that I will pass on the 5 or 11 lb tank unless I can find a cheap tank, and a cheap place to fill up. Anything I am missing?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also own one of the skinny 10lb. tanks and really enjoy it. I tend to bring everything except the kitchen sink with me on the ice so having a few extra pounds less is a big win in my book. You really pay for portability on tanks of that size though. I.M.O. the weight difference between 10 and 20 isn't significant enough to warrant buying a smaller tank if your worried about cost. Last time I checked it is around 15 bucks more for the smaller tank. The disposables are just awful for environmental purposes and I refuse to buy those things. I agree with you SkunkedAgain in regards to recycling bins for them....

I refill the 1 lbers. I need for Lanterns and the Buddy off of a 20. I don't transport them other than in the sled or boat and when they start to leak I pay the fee for proper disposal as opposed to chucking them in the trash. I usually get about 3-5 refills before they start to leak. I leave the refills outside the fish house to guard against mishaps.

I don't like them either but don't want the extra weight and space of a 20lber.

The perm runs off a 100 lber.

When I have mine filled I pay for the amount it takes to fill it, not necessarily what the tank is designed to hold.

If I top off mine and it's still half full, I'm only charged for the 1/2 tank.

Bob

I was also wondering, if I am going to switch from a 1 lb tank on my mr heater cooker, do I need a special hose and connection?

Yes, they make an adapter hose. I just picked one up for my Buddy Heater. It was 12' long and ran around $20. Fleet Farm, Menards, etc. will have it. They also make a 5' hose.

I get my 20lb tank filled up for about $14 from the local co-op.

I used to buy those 1 lb. for my buddy heater but they just don't last long. and I agree that they take up space after using in the porty. I try to take has less as I can when going out. Although, that said I need to get a 5lb or 10lb tank rather than the 20 to make it a little lighter.

I used to use 1 lbs and decided to switch over to a twenty lb. Like Dietz said, they don't last long at all! It's a little spendy to start up (tank and hoses)but believe me it worth it in the long run. If you aren't an avid ice fisherman maybe the 1 lbs are the way to go but if your out there alot the investment is worthwhile.

Well boys; point me in the right direction! I'd welcome some locations where a person can get a) a cheap 5/11 lb tank and B) specific places where I can get fillups in the metro for closer to $1.00/ lb. As far as disposal goes, what are you going to do? Shoot 'em, crush 'em, toss 'em. If you can recycle them I will be happy to do so. I see the advantages of the smaller tanks, believe me. But if I'm hauling by hand, I'm going with 1 lb tanks. After all, Non- ATV/Sled ice only lasts about 4 weekends anyways, and at that point I'll go to the 20 lber.

How does the Big buddy utilize the 2 tanks. It seems like the left tank is used for low and medium settings while the right tank is used for High. I am guessing this is how it works since my left tank ran out way before my right tank. If you use the larger tank and hose, do you connect it to the left hand side? I assume it still works on High as well? Thanks for the info.

Get the Pancake style 11-lb tank the tall skinny one is worthless.

I bought the tall skinny 11-lb and hate it it's a real pain to keep up right and the Pancake style sits great outside on the ice and the hose being closer to ground runs under my trap without losing hose length and tank stability.

Agreed, I just did a trade a tank at L-M fleet on a 20lb it was $16. and trading is usualy way more $ than just filling, just convienient. you need to find a different supplier.

A gallon of propane weighs 4.2 lbs and sells now for $1.60 - $1.80 per

At $2.50 per lb = $10.50 per gal

Buy the tank

Sounds like you are getting the proverbial shaft on the 5/11 pound fill up price McGurk. I don't have any suggestions on where to go for a better price, but if it were me, I'd take THEM to task. $12 for a 5# fill, that is a joke. It is not any more difficult to fill a 5 vs. a 20, unless the service-station boys are a little weak in math.

I have a 5 pound tank that was gifted to me. I know that they are steeply priced, but do go on sale occasionally (@FF and GM) - down to the $35 range. I much prefer the 5# over singles... even and consistent pressure, no rolling and clanking, Relatively light weight/compact, and I can usually get 2-3 trips out of it.

As far as I know, there is no "green" method for disposing of the cylinders. Some refill them using an adapter and a #20 tank, but I've heard you can only get about 2/3 full... Even then they may be prone to failure after repeated refills....

I just filled up my 11# pancake at the Wyoming Exit for around $12+change if I am remember. I will keep a 1lb with me towards the end of the tank but I have a gauge on it that tells me when it starts to get low. I think my heater/cooker heats better with the 11lb versus a 1lb because of the force of gas being forced out of the tank. Anyone else notice that or am I goofy?

I used the one pound tanks until the empties started piling up in the garage and it looked so wasteful.

I was told you cannot put the one pound tanks in the garbage. So I took them to the Hennipen County trnasfer station. They had a list of places to take them and you have to pay to get rid of them. Does anyone have more information on this?

I like the thinner/taller 11 pound tank because when I put the gear in the sled to walk out it takes less floor space. I have not had any trouble with it flipping over.

The little 1# tanks freeze up easily on those cold days too.

I bought the 11# pancake and love it! The initial cost is a bit tough to swallow, but you save in the end...BIG TIME!

I don't know how many of those 1# tanks I would go through in a season, especially when it was bitter cold and had to run it higher then normal. Between the freezing tanks and the trash, the investment became a no-brainer.

I just picked up another 11# pancake tank. GM had the tanks at $49.99 and they take competitor's coupons so, I used a coupon for $10 off over $50 purchase. Tank costed me $40.

Last year, I filled my 11#er for $8 with a $2 off coupon. 11# pancake tank is the way to go!